[TR] Little Tahoma - 5/6/2008

Trip: Little Tahoma -

Date: 5/6/2008

Trip Report:

Little Tahoma, May 5, 6 2008

What to do when you have one good day followed by bad forecasted, and two days planned? Ivan, Fred Barcola and I headed for Little Tahoma, hoping the forecast was overstated.

2472078949_6474199ca5.jpg

Rock on wicha own bad self. Muir Snowfield.

2472903048_f6e59cbfce.jpg

Serac, Ingraham Glacier

That evening a lenticular began nesting on Rainier. It settled in, spread, and eventually swallowed our tiny camp on the Ingraham Glacier.

2472903006_3dc79a72ef.jpg

Rainier, enshrouded. From camp.

The following morning was clear and calm. The snow was hard. Conditions were perfect. We summited just past 9 am.

2472079091_bffec29392.jpg

Downclimbing from the summit

2472902812_50bbbc11d9.jpg

Summit cheese. Mt. Adams in the distance.

2472078909_c729454464.jpg

Descending

2472902710_e064ed54f0.jpg

Cowlitz Glacier

The Muir was slushy corn, which made for a fast descent…for the two of us on skis, anyway.

Gear Notes:

The crevasses are opening up big time.

Approach Notes:

Pass through 2 8400' cols from the Muir Snowfield to get across the Cowlitz and Ingraham Glaciers. There is a flat area on the Ingraham. Climb over a 8600' col to gain the next glacier which leads to the Little Tahoma summit.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivan.....how do you get away so much with a child at home? What is your trick?

i had myself cloned - my other self is much more likable too

regarding hte question on time, it took a little over 5 hours to get to camp, 3 hours from camp to summit in essentially perfect cramponing conditions, and a little over 2 hrs to get back to paradise

and in time to give the kids a bath and fall asleep w/ the wife while watchign "reaper!"

note the size of the pack - now that is a proper rainier sized pack people! i feel as if i should be handing out cyanide pills to all those poor bastards hauling up 70 pounds of titanium sporks to muir! :)

note the size of the pack - now that is a proper rainier sized pack people! i feel as if i should be handing out cyanide pills to all those poor bastards hauling up 70 pounds of titanium sporks to muir! :)

For some reason I can not see your pics.

Did you get some photographs of the Ingram flats, the Ingram direct, and the cleaver routes?

I remember someone posted a TR of Little Tahoma last year in August and it had some great shots of groups trying to find their way through motes, and crevasses that are the maze on Rainier in the late season after a smaller than average snow pack.

It would be really cool if someone knows about that TR and can make a side by side comparison.

Edited by sirwoofalot