safety

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the most common way to die as a climber?

STROKING OUT/TEMPLE BLOOD VESSEL BLOWING OUT BY SLAMMING AND SMACKING THE KEYBOARD WHILE ENGAGED ON A SPRAY DEBATE THREAD.

Most likely thread is about:

A) Ethics

B) Your mom.

C) Your penis size.

D) Bolts.

E) Infinite Bliss (interesting twist there eh!)

Thats been my experince anyway.

Now, the debate: which is safer, Mac or PC?

What is the most common way to die as a climber?

STROKING OUT/TEMPLE BLOOD VESSEL BLOWING OUT BY SLAMMING AND SMACKING THE KEYBOARD WHILE ENGAGED ON A SPRAY DEBATE THREAD.

Most likely thread is about:

A) Ethics

B) Your mom.

C) Your penis size.

D) Bolts.

E) Infinite Bliss (interesting twist there eh!)

Thats been my experince anyway.

Now, the debate: which is safer, Mac or PC?

You forgot smoking in the Muir Hut. :argue:

Hey ya'll, this is not the Spray forum, and the original poster is not a sprayer. I'm thanking Plexus and TomTom for having some serious answers, and I'm thinking the rest of you should shut up.

So I would be a sprayer if I suggest the op look up the old issue of Rock & Ice that compiled actual risk statistics, or www.bergundsteigen.at, for the same?

Whereas helpful is pulling answers out of the ass. gotcha.

Depends. Some (objective and subjective) factors:

1)Setting (including weather, proximity)

2)Other people (people in your party, belay partner)

I'd break some of it up into personal mistakes (eg overestimating one's ability on the rock; free soloing) and mistakes others make (eg other parties on an alpine route).

There's a whole shitload of things one could mention (equipment, etc).

See above and other sources like Accidents in NAmerican Mtneering.

what is the most common way to die as a climber?

The American Alpine Club publishes Accidents in North American Mountaineering (abbreviated throughout this site as ANAM) annually. It's a highly informative read of the accounts of incidents, with analysis and comment. In the appendeces, the statistical tables categorize the myriad ways that people got the chop. You can find ANAM in your local library, or order it online from any number of book suppliers.

what is the most common way to die as a climber?

The American Alpine Club publishes Accidents in North American Mountaineering (abbreviated throughout this site as ANAM) annually. It's a highly informative read of the accounts of incidents, with analysis and comment. In the appendeces, the statistical tables categorize the myriad ways that people got the chop. You can find ANAM in your local library, or order it online from any number of book suppliers.

Many years ago I read in this journal, or one like it, that 75% of all "climbing" accidents occur during the descent.

Keith,

I was going to add that little factoid, but decided I'd said enough. However, you are right about that statistic. The assumption is that some climbers think that "the hard part" is over once you've summitted. Add to that: they could be tired, thinking about the chillin' beers back at the rig, spooning with their SO when they get home, etc. Easy to lose focus.

The last time I checked the index of ANAM, it listed falls on rock/ice as the majority cause of accidents (IIRC). I guess it didn't say if they were falls on the ascent or descent, though... but there was a separate section for rap accidents, and it was less than falls (again, IIRC).