[TR] St. Peters Dome - South Face Direct (?) 4/26/

fgw

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a beautiful shot by Dave Jensen (one of the guys on FA of Turkey & 2nd party up NE face on SPD I think).

Wayne, for a short while you had a shot of the dome from the east (from Katanai Rock?) on your website - do you still have that around somewhere? most impressive views of this thing are from east and west sides (also the hardest points to get to for photos).

PS thanks for good word S.L. & others.

Edited by fgw

Quality, that's good stuff. I've sampled that lifestyle on routes on the "Rotwand" in Eldo, less committing but similar in that any move or placement can be psychological, and it just accumulates as you go higher. A true "House of Cards" except it would be your ass!

Awesome TR, cheers!

I cant believe the highway dept was considering building a road to the to the top of that thing way back when!!

No Sh-t, I am serious.

Yeah, I know Dodge makes a mention of this. Jeff's got a good explanation for this craziness (idea got exposure because of who proposed but not because it ever went beyond a pipe dream apparently)...then again maybe they thought a hard granitic core was hiding somewhere in there :)

thank you for the info!

Wayne,

The Mazama Annual article on this route will be posted on the Mazamas web soon. I'll let you know via PM and post here once it's up.

Radek, Shirley, Jeff: Superb climb, great trip report and photos, and biggest congrats!!! Having a dream like this for years and then finally sending it makes it taste even sweeter, no? Way to go!

Wow.

Don and Jeff , you have put together a masterpiece!

I just got a copy of the 2007 Mazama Annual and its feature article is stunning. Too bad it couldnt have been updated. Radek and Jeff should do one for the next Journal.

May I post it online or provide a link to it?

+ Thank you Jeff, for sending the copy .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx Wayne for the compliment on the Mazama article. It was fun to put it together with Jeff! When Jeff finishes his follow-up work, he and Radek should do it again next year. About building a road up into the Dome, I have figured out something about that. The entire rather rounded-looking Gorge wall was originally called "St. Peter's Dome," the name later being changed to the "Dome" we all climb. I think the proposal to build the tunnel was into the main cliff, not "our" Dome. That would make access to another tourist's overlook atop the Gorge wall.

Don

• 2 years later...