Bear!

Rad

We were hiking up the Far Side trail this afternoon when we came upon a large black bear in the middle of the trail just a 100yds from the road. He stared. We stared. He darted down the slope toward the river.

I'd never seen a bear on the I90 corridor before. I'm glad to know they're out there. I've seen plenty in the Olympics and around Stehekin but not many elsewhere.

When do they generally come out of their dens?

Where have you seen them?

Have any of you seen a grizzly in WA? I've only seen those guys in AK and Banff/Jasper.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never seen a bear on the I90 corridor before. I'm glad to know they're out there. I've seen plenty in the Olympics and around Stehekin but not many elsewhere.

When do they generally come out of their dens?

Where have you seen them?

In the Cascades:

1) Above the Cascade Pass trail, near the pass, where you traverse talus

2) On the road to Boulder Ridge Trail (Baker) - early season. We saw one bear, and soon afterwards a second.

That's it.

I've actually seen one to the date five years ago. Coming down after climbing a peak in the Twin Sisters range, I was commenting how in our uphill footsteps, there were bear footsteps. About 10 minutes later there was a loud thrashing, a large black blur and then a sound I will never forget as a very large (for Washington standards) black bear climbed up 30 feet or so into a tree in a matter of seconds.

I'm sure like many posters here will attest to, you find bears more often than not on less-used trails or off-trail. They, like many other animals, like trails and roads because it's easier to travel on (just like how us humans feel). So from my experience, right about now is when you start seeing them.

Only places I have seen a grizzly are AK, BC and one here in Colorado (though I'll never say where because they are supposed to be extinct here).

In the NE area, we see lots of black bear, especially up near Kettle Falls and over at Sullivan Lake. I've only seen one grizzly up there and it was along Sheep Creek, near Northport. Rumor had it that some bad bears from Glacier NP were being transplanted into that area at one time. Seems unlikely but that was the rumor.

We counted 4 blacks below Heather Pass a few years ago while hiking the Maple Pass loop. Also saw my first lynx on that same trip - that made the trip actually :)

I saw a nice cinnimon black bear up the Stuart Lk Trail a couple years ago. They are popping out of their dens right about now.

Unless they didn't hibernate which is the case in warmer (west side) climates.

I have been charged a few times in Montana.

Treed a dozen times for safety.

And treed by moose a few times too.

The scariest time was up the Yack, on the west side of Glacier park. A small, 90-120 lb black bear stalked me for a mile and then charged me for 100 yards full blast. He was probably two years old and had never seen a human before. At that age they are often cut off by their mothers so he was hungry too. I was in a huge clearing with no place to go. He ran up to within 15 feet of me when I charged him. I yelled as loud and mean as I could. I had my knife out and was ready to go down fighting. He was going to eat me if I didn't. He sat down and sniffed the air. My mind was racing. I realized that I could not give him time to gather his courage. I charged him again coming within 5 feet of him. He took off at top speed and dissappeared into the forest.

The adrenaline was intense. I was half way back to camp before I realized I was walking still holding the knife.

Edited by Bug

Tiger mt, west tiger 2 trail last October. We were on the trail and could see some rustling brush. We stopped and watched for a few minutes and you could see paw pop up occasionally to bat berrys off of the bush.

We were hiking up the Far Side trail this afternoon when we came upon a large black bear in the middle of the trail.

Have any of you seen a grizzly in WA? I've only seen those guys in AK and Banff/Jasper.

Not trying to jump on your case Rad, but why is it that nobody ever sees a 'small' bear? Seriously, other than seeing a cub, whenever anyone tells you they see a bear, it is always a 'big' one. This was pointed out to me by a long-time Stehekin resident who had listened to hundreds of visitors talk about the 'very big' bear they had seen that day.

There was a bear with us at the Index LTW a couple months ago. The most frequent mountain area in which I've always seen them is the N. Fork Bridge Creek.

My personal Grizzly view is that most 'Grizzly' sighting in WA are actually black bears (which can of course be many colors). I'd guess that every now and then one might wander in from Canada into the extreme N & NE tips of WA. The last 'Class 1' (verified/proven) Grizzly sighting in WA was 12 years ago.

Since that time there have been roughly an equal number of Bigfoot and Grizzly sightings, which make me wonder how groups like Conservation NW get data to claim there are "About 10" grizzlies in Washington.

There were three grizzlies caught in the chicken coop of my place in Index before I bought it (there were there about three or four years ago I think). The mamma bear had a collar and the two babies did not. The folks who owned my place called the forest service and they didn't believe that the bears being called in were grizzlies. After they came and got them, it was confirmed that these bears were indeed griz. But I think they were just out of their normal range and that they were returned somewhere else, not just "out back" into what is now Big Sky Wilderness. Sorry I can't be more specific than this, I can only relate the story that the homeowners told me.

I have, however, seen a couple of black bears pretty regularly around the place for the last two years.

Ive seen lots of bears... When I live on a farm I took my 10 yr old bro into the forest behind our house. We stumbled upon a little black bear and I chased it down the gravel road, my brother called me his hero all day.. it was funny. In the mountains Ive seen lots of black bears in alpine meadows and talus fields, they're usually far enough away that I dont care. On Mt Barr I bumped into a mother and cub and that was interesting but the mother didnt freak out at all, she just sat there and ate grass.

I've seen a grizzly around Norse Peak, along the trail to Dewey Lakes. I've also seen one on the Chocolate Glacier from a distance on Glacier Peak. At least it looked like a grizzly, but I couldn't really tell. Was approached by a grizzly one day in Alaska, and charged by a mother black bear whose cubs thought we wanted to play later that afternoon. I've heard stories of them around the I90 corridor, but never came across one. We'll have to try and get it on camera this weekend.

We were hiking up the Far Side trail this afternoon when we came upon a large black bear in the middle of the trail.

Not trying to jump on your case Rad, but why is it that nobody ever sees a 'small' bear? Seriously, other than seeing a cub, whenever anyone tells you they see a bear, it is always a 'big' one. This was pointed out to me by a long-time Stehekin resident who had listened to hundreds of visitors talk about the 'very big' bear they had seen that day.

There was a bear with us at the Index LTW a couple months ago. The most frequent mountain area in which I've always seen them is the N. Fork Bridge Creek.

My personal Grizzly view is that most 'Grizzly' sighting in WA are actually black bears (which can of course be many colors). I'd guess that every now and then one might wander in from Canada into the extreme N & NE tips of WA. The last 'Class 1' (verified/proven) Grizzly sighting in WA was 12 years ago.

Since that time there have been roughly an equal number of Bigfoot and Grizzly sightings, which make me wonder how groups like Conservation NW get data to claim there are "About 10" grizzlies in Washington.

Blake is right on this one. I'm sure grizzlys are in the state from time to time from Canada but almost all in the lower 48 are in MT. It is extremely unlikely that they would be south of the N. Cascades (Arch's story being third party evidence would need due diligence). And most black bears aren't that big but this is an area, much like fishing, climbing ability, and certain body parts where hyperbole is prevalent.

While backpacking in the Pasayten a few years ago, we strung our food up in a tree and went out for the day. Upon return there were some gnarly claw marks all over the tree that the food was in. Luckily the food was still there, but those were some intense claw marks.

~1990: Big Momma bear (brown in color, but probably a Black Bear) and two cubs on the trail to the Matterhorn in the Wallowas, right before the split to head away from the creek and go uphill. Sighting was preceeded by a terrified deer charging toward us on the trail. Deer went right past us at quite a clip, close enough to touch. "Wow, that was really wierd. Wonder what caused that deer to be so upset?"

Seconds later we found out why. I spy aforementioned ursine critters. I freeze in my tracks before they see me. My two companions, not looking up, crash into the back of me. I "shush" them and point about 50 yards uphill to bears. "Wow", me all mutter. One of the guys starts to go for his camera. "Shit, Rick, let's just look a little and get the fuck outta here. She's got CUBS, man!" We hastily cross the creek and head uphill for another 30 minutes or so. Phil never stops looking back over his shoulder the whole time. :laf:

1994 thru 1997: Idaho panhandle/Selkirks, during several trips to climb the sweet granite of Harrison Peak. They'd come through our camp every damned night, every trip, snuffling around the tent. There's a REASON there's a bearbox at the lake... Those ones mighta been grizzlies, being that far north, the remoteness of the area, and all.

Same timeframe, in the South Fork Cleawater River drainage, ID: Almost ran over a bear on the last little stretch of road before you get to Lightning Dome. It was late on a Friday night on the drive in. He crashed down from the high side of the roadway cut, froze in the headlights in front of my rig, decided to head for the river on the other side of the road, changed his mind, then turned around and ran back up the high side of the road. Thank Dog you can only do about 45 mph on that skinny little road, or I'd have been hoofing it out to Grangeville.

Saw a big-ass moose (couldn't fuggin' believe it) further up the road near Elk City around that time, too. Big mofo animals they is...

~2004-ish: Goat Rocks Wilderness. Surprised a small black bear looking for blueberries along the NF Tieton River trail to McCall Basin on my way back from a run up Old Snowy. I'd say we both were surprised.

Many other bear stories from my time in VA and WV, but that's not the PNW...

if you check out the link i posted, it says between 5-20 grizzlies in regularly make the N. Cascades home but those numbers are fairly old. it might be more now.

Yeah but that same source (which favors Grizzly re-introduction and is actively seeking evidence of their presence) lists the most recent observation as a visual encounter (no hair/track/etc)happening 12 years ago!

There were three grizzlies caught in the chicken coop of my place in Index before I bought it (there were there about three or four years ago I think). The mamma bear had a collar and the two babies did not. The folks who owned my place called the forest service and they didn't believe that the bears being called in were grizzlies. After they came and got them, it was confirmed that these bears were indeed griz.

What year was this? If this is accurate, I'm sure the USFS would have records of it. The pro Grizzly groups (linked by Minx) have no record/mention of it even they they work closely with the USFS. The Bearinfo site lists 4 proven observations in the last 20 years, and I bet they would be very glad to hear about any more.

I think it'd be cool to have grizzlies around here, but I'm still curious/skeptical about where the "about 10" or "5-20" number comes from. Are there enough Grizzlies who live in Washington for their population to be sufficient for breeding and genetic health, yet no evidence for one has been found in 12 years?

Outside of Washington I've seen bears in Glacier NP on the Iceberg Lake Trail.

We drove into the park from the West, and did the touristy drive up the Going to the Sun Road. We didn't get to Many Glacier until late afternoon - set up camp and decided to quickly do the Iceberg Lake Trail. 20 minutes into the hike we saw a black bear about 100 meters off to the left and below. A couple hours later, on the way back there was a bear ON the trail. We made lots of noise and he/she wouldn't move off. He was hungry and grazing on plants. Eventually we got him off the trail - but only by about 15 feet. It was getting dusk, and not a good time to be "out" around black bears, so I got out the pepper spray and stood right in front of the bear while the family passed behind me, then followed them. I wanted to photograph the bear but my wife got really pissed "WTF are you doing?". Over the next week in the park we didn't see another bear.

Bug - that story is tough!

I saw a mother and 3 cubs by Waptus Lake. We had turned a corner on the trail out into a clearing. We were about 25' or so away from the bears, and the bears saw us at the same time we saw them. They ran to the nearest tree about 20' away, the cubs climbed to the very top, and the mother stood behind the tree. We backed up a little but still in sight of the mother, and she started with the gruffing, so we backed up until she couldn't see us anymore. We started talking loudly so they could still hear us. We didn't want to bushwack, so we waited for about 30 min. for the bears to get the courage to take off.

Saw the same crew about 100 yards further down the trail. Cubs went running, we backed up again, and waited again.