I'm fucked

archenemy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered kayaking last weekend.

Yeah fun stuff, but I decided it would be a good activity when I am old my body can't take the climbing, freeriding and snowboarding.

I used to hang out with a bunch of folks who did a lot of whitewater kayaking. I did a little bit and yeah it is fun, but skiing and climbing really held my interest.

I've never sea kayaked, but I have spent some time in the ocean in a canoe. That's a lot of fun too, but it ain't climbing.

I might do more of both when I get older, but if you want to get good and do the crazy stuff you need to start younger and stay focused. That's true of any sport.

I'm not so sure that sea kayaking is really about "getting good and doing crazy stuff" so much as whitewater kayaking or climbing.

Surfing in a kayak is kind of a specialty thing, but most sea kayakers are out for sights and sounds as much as the activity itself -- kind of like backpacking as opposed to mountaineering. In some ways it is about NOT doing crazy stuff - it gets scary and dangerous when you start hitting rocks on a rough shore landing or the wind and waves come up on an exposed crossing.

I took a surf landing class. You are right Feck, it is special stuff. I'd rather try to land against sharp rocks in a bobbing tide than to try to come ashore on a hard sand beach in the surf. You can time yourself in a bobbing tide but your boat won't float in foam.

Yeah fun stuff, but I decided it would be a good activity when I am old my body can't take the climbing, freeriding and snowboarding.

thats where i am right now. i need to find ways to have fun that will not cuase me horrible pain.

Yeah - I've been thinking that flatwater and/or sea-kayaking would be a cool thing to do with kids once they enter the picture.

In the meantime - Man! - the rivers in your former home-base delivered up the goods this weekend. I heart Maine.

I suppose we could debate whether this or that scenario is more difficult or dangerous, and clearly there are a lot of skills to learn either way. But most of the time I was able to find a reasonably sane landing even on the outside coasts of the Olympic Peninsula and Vancouver Island. With some notable exceptions, the places I went usually offered some kind of protected cove or a sneak landing behind a sea stack or something within a mile or three. On surf beaches, too, I could usually avoid total ruin by waiting for a big swell to come by and then paddling like mad to try and hit the beach just behind it and before the next one came crashing upon me. If I ate it, I was generally able to hop out and drag the boat on shore. Sometimes, though, it DID get kinda scary.

On the outside coasts, I always chose favorable conditions and told myself I'd park the boat and walk home if things got too rough.

Yes you are. Glad to hear that someone else on the board has discovered how to enjoy the flip side of the hydrological cycle.

Maine is no WA, but it was definitely delivering up the goods on that front this weekend. So many beautiful places....

TheGoods.jpg

Yeah - I've been thinking that flatwater and/or sea-kayaking would be a cool thing to do with kids once they enter the picture.

In the meantime - Man! - the rivers in your former home-base delivered up the goods this weekend. I heart Maine.

Yeah man spring time river running is a blast there. I used to do some open boating, pretty much inbetween seasons skiing/ice climbing season and mountain biking/rock climbing season there was a short paddling season.

"Every drop between Skoonichuck and the take out has been run, and a few drops upstream as well. The most notable of these upstream descents occurred during the filming the local video 'Breathe', when Isaac and Jordan Priestly hiked six miles up the creek and claimed the first descent of a fifty-five plus foot waterfall far above the regular run."

Isaac and Jordan are brothers of "beaconben" who posts on here.....these crazy mother F*&^*ers have first descents all over the northwest.....including Eagle Creek