REI sale May 2 - 11

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Arch, small print: "kayaks, tele boots, cams, anything practical or that you are interested in and lobotomys are excluded."

:)

At least thats the way it felt when I was pwn'ed and denied from using the 20% coupon there when I bought my GPS unit.

If you're a member, you got a catalog in the mail showing everything on sale and the coupon. If you didn't get it, there are catalogs in the store you can look through - they honored the sale prices/coupon in the store today (a day early).
Thanks for letting me know that at 10pm! Oh well, I'm going today after work. I'm usually not an REI fan, but I am one today!

Hey sorry - I just hadn't logged in yet or I coulda shared the secret with you :)

That's sweet of ya!

Turns out, there was no mad rush at REI. Guess the economy really is affecting people's buying habits.

I wasn't too overwhelmed/overexcited about the sale once I saw it though. There really wasn't all that much on sale that I was looking for. I didn't realize how seasonal that place is--they didn't have any ski stuff available. Bummer.

But, I did get a wetsuit that fits! Again, wasn't on sale, but I used that 20% off for members deal.

Did anyone else go? See anything that just shouldn't be missed? I'm not a good in-person shopper, so I could have missed something obvious that every person simply must have.

Like you, I found it underwhelming. I almost bought a cam, but 20% off isn't all THAT spectacular and I didn't want to wait in line.

So you didn't buy that kayak? (Maybe not a bad call. I used to make a couple of trips a year and found renting wasn't a bad option.)

I didn't have anyway to bring it home. Today I found a rack for my pickup truck that I am going to call on.

I'm going to go the rental route first though. That way I can try different things out and find out what I like. Also, I wouldn't mind getting a used one first so I don't have all that added stress around destroying a beautiful new piece of gear.

That's one of the beauties of renting (no worries about destroying it).

I haven't boated much for several years, but there used to be a real difference between plastic and fiberglass, where general consensus was that plastic boats were tougher but flexed such that you lost energy so that they were slower. Had I listened to all of my friends, I would have bought a fiberglass boat because virtually everybody agreed they were better. But after a couple of trips where people hit rocks or otherwise damaged their boats I started renting plastic boats for trips on the outer coast where we expected to hit rocks and wanted to be able to drag them onto a rock landing without being careful. I would have been unhappy with my purchase had I bought one.

they didn't have any ski stuff available. Bummer.

Did you go down to the "gear garage"? That's where all the ski stuff is. It got moved down there at end of season.

OK, I have to admit it...I just started working there :whistle: I'm new in Seattle and it's a great place to meet outdoorsy people while I'm getting settled. If you're in there returning your 15 year old summit pack because a strap *finally* broke, yep, I'm your girl...I'm at customer service. Be nice! And don't mess with me :eveeel: Seriously, though...come by and say hi if you're in the store - my name's Lisa

Hey sorry - I just hadn't logged in yet or I coulda shared the secret with you :)

That's sweet of ya!

Turns out, there was no mad rush at REI. Guess the economy really is affecting people's buying habits.

I wasn't too overwhelmed/overexcited about the sale once I saw it though. There really wasn't all that much on sale that I was looking for. I didn't realize how seasonal that place is--they didn't have any ski stuff available. Bummer.

But, I did get a wetsuit that fits! Again, wasn't on sale, but I used that 20% off for members deal.

Did anyone else go? See anything that just shouldn't be missed? I'm not a good in-person shopper, so I could have missed something obvious that every person simply must have.

I bought a windshirt.

I'm new in Seattle and it's a great place to meet outdoorsy people while I'm getting settled.

By outdoorsy you mean people who own more crap than me and get outside less than me?

Hey now :( , I got out on rock last Sunday. BTW, speaking of crap, added to my Metolius Master Cam rack by buying a #4 and using the 20% off coupon.

I'm new in Seattle and it's a great place to meet outdoorsy people while I'm getting settled.

By outdoorsy you mean people who own more crap than me and get outside less than me?

Hey now :( , I got out on rock last Sunday. BTW, speaking of crap, added to my Metolius Master Cam rack by buying a #4 and using the 20% off coupon.

I was preempting Porter's posting poking fun at my Patagonish [font:Impact] TM[/font] lifestyle