Trekking poles

fishburneiv

After years away my wife and I were hiking through the Enchantments last fall when we noticed what seems to be a new vogue of running straight through. We counted around 30 people running through in groups of 2-10. We were both a little disgruntled by experience, but for different reasons. I interpreted every one of these light, fit, happily chatting people as a purposefully skipping past my bulk just to insult my fatness. My wife, however, was more concerned about what she perceived as a careless and thoughtless overuse of trekking poles - not just as an aid on the steeps, but a constant "flik-fliking" of poles (and earth) throughout. The evidence seemed especially apparent (and unnecessary) around the marshy flats of the snow lakes.

What are your thoughts? A google search revealed some discussions that merely gave a passing nod to the possible damage created by poles. Most reasoned that the impact is so slight compared to other factors (i.e., heavy boots - also unnecessary?) as to be negligible, while others even argued that the holes are good for aerating and starting new growth, thereby further anchoring the trail. The first sounds like a justification by comparison, while the latter seems like an unfounded rationalization.

Understand, I don’t mind poles – it just seems like they could/should be used more judiciously.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) don't get me wrong: I like 'em (poles and women) and I use 'em (poles, not women).

I just wonder about the cost/benefit to the hiker, and to the trail, on flat, spongy, terrain like around Snow Lakes.

2) you have an instructional SERIES (the only comprehensive curriculum by the way) on how to use trekking poles?! :moondance::lmao:

you can have my poles when you pry them from my cold, sweaty hands!

poles add miles to my endurance and infinitely expand my enjoyment of stupid slogging sessions

really? maybe this would help my feet ankles knees and hips and make it so i can kinda hike again.

poles add miles to my endurance and infinitely expand my enjoyment of stupid slogging sessions

really? maybe this would help my feet ankles knees and hips and make it so i can kinda hike again.

YES!

YES!

I didn't even consider it, but i am willing to try almost anything so long as it helps me keep playing outside with out breaking anything.

From Hugh: "sorry, try again - noticeable widening of trails has been observed post poles."

That's certainly one of the affects that we noted. Maybe hafilax or porter can tell us which one of the THREE (count them, 3) comprehensive instructional videos offered by Jayah Faye Paley addresses how to correctly use the poles without damage to the trail? ;)

Edited by fishburneiv

Seriously though, I'm all for poles on the steeps, but when I saw that many people flicking them into flat, damp terrain, it made me wonder if they have become more of an accessory or habit than a truely useful aid to be used as necessary. Honestly, it made me want to be more mindful regarding my own use of poles; and challenged me to put them away when I really don't need them.

What was the average age of the users you saw? I'm betting there was a lot of gray hair.

Nope. These were young, athletic-types, jogging along and using their poles just to keep rythm.

On that same trip I did see an 70+ year old man sloging up Asgard with a giant Gregory pack, a huge, heavy wooden ice axe with a metal head, and Sorels (snow boots). He was alternately gasping and exhaling "shit" and "fuck". I was seriously worried at the noises he was making so I casually asked him how he was doing. He smiled and opened up his pack - there was 30 pounds of live golden trout fingerlings in two big bags! He volunteers to restock to avoid having to get a permit. It was beautiful! :cry:

Therefore, apparently, real cascade hardmen don't use trekking poles; they use full length wooden axes circa 1950. (I'm unworthy) :(

Edited by fishburneiv