Base Jump off Monkey Face

bonathanjarrett

Anyone know anything about the one perhaps two people who BASE jumped off Monkey Face on Saturday? I am surprised I haven't heard anything yet on these boards. I saw only the chute open as I was hiking over the top and approaching the vantage point. The mystery jumper was gone by the time I got to a better view point.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ballsy - how much time/space do they need for the chutes to work?

Was wondering the same thing. I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular. With my old chute off Monkey Face, I would've face-planted in the tuft long before it fully deployed. :noway:

Was wondering the same thing. I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular. With my old chute off Monkey Face, I would've face-planted in the tuft long before it fully deployed. :noway:

my first thought "NO WAY it's not high enough"

my first thought "NO WAY it's not high enough"

GrnDrgn:TwnCrr.jpg

Josh & I were right below him when his chute opened up - it was loud; we both thought it was the mother of all rock fall coming down, but then looked up and saw him sailing down, pretty cool really. Wish I'd had my camera handy.

back for another shot on the west face aid route?

I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular.

I thought the military was the only ones stupid enough to jump with T10s. I did a jump at 800 feet once. Just enough time for the canopy to deploy before slamming into the ground.

I was near the top of the first pitch on WF so proably close to 40 meters up. I'd guess he got canopy ~30 meters above me... sailed by and said hello, then drifted around the corner.

I have lots of pictures of Dan on the first pitch of the bolt ladder and the summit pitch coming out of the cave. I'll try and get them edited and posted this week.

Thanks for the fun climb Dan!