Spearhead Traverse Reports???

dodger

I am planning to do the Spearhead Traverse (high tour from Blackcomb to Whistler) in May and trying to collect some advance beta.

Any recent information on the conditions for the route? I have done the tour twice before, so am most interested in reports from people who have been on the route recently.

Any suggestions for best places to look for recent info?

Thx!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebob from ttips:

Notice for tourers returning from Spearhead or Slackcountry. Sunset Blvd. is fully plowed and therefore not an option. Further, the entire frontside road is plowed to Rendezvous, which takes this option out as well. Horrendous line-up at Excalibur as well.

Also, if you're doing the Spearhead, two main options for exit are either Singing Pass Trail (still some plowing at bottom of Olympic Run) or Peak to Creek from Whistler Peak. The Whistler Northside Road has been fully plowed to Rendezvous.

Did the Spearhead last Saturday (Apr 26th). A lot of people on the traverse. Excellent conditions up high. Ski out Singing Pass was still okay.

Whistler got some new snow over the last couple of days (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/snowreport/index.htm), but this will probably settle pretty fast. Whistler Blackcomb is still writing avi forecasts, so check these regularly to get an idea for the conditions.

Last week someone did both the Spearhead and the Neve in a day. I always thought doing them each as day trips on a single weekend was enough, this guy has upped it a notch. See TR at bivouac.

We were descending to Gentian Pass on our way to Sphinx Hut and saw a guy skiing across the lake at 5PM or so and thought, we will see him tomorrow on the Neve, but nary saw a sign. Now I know.

There was about 24 new about 3 days ago. Its settled out well as of today. NW slopes skied fine in blackcomb sidecountry. Some friends went out today to cache stuff at Naden so there'll be a track in. Not much snow projected so should still be a track in for weekend