• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Rad

Gear for 4 yr old

My son is 4 and we're ready to start rock climbing a bit this summer. I'm looking for shoes and a harness as a start.

1 - What worked/didn't work for you?

2 - Got any old gear to sell/swap?

3 - If yes to #2, are you going to the CC picnic tomorrow?

Thanks,

R

1-low pressure and other kids helped. for gear, all of the kid specific stuff is almost identical...go for cheap...they don't wear the stuff out...

2-already gave most of my stuff away...

Just tie him in with a diaper sling and chest harness with runners and let him bounce and swing.

If he is like mine and kids of friends of mine, he will be into actually climbing for ten or fifteen minutes.

The rest is play time with friends, toys, bugs etc.....

I started my daughter climbing when she was 4. She loves it, but hates being lowered. This spring we're going to practice lowering on the ramp out at Schurman Rock.

My youngest was four when she first climbed. She used a full body harness during our trips to Smith last summer. When we were there last month, the same guide put her (now 5) in a regular harness than used a sling crossed across her back and through her arms that attached with a carabiner. He said this would be more comfortable for her. The full body harness didn't have any padding. She liked this set-up, especially the padded leg loops, much better.

this is not a good method, unless several precautions are taken with the "chest" rigging...I would stick with a full body harness or buy a chest harness to compliment the sit harness.

I would not do this...

It was a guide who rigged it up and his equipment so I assumed he knew what he was doing. All I know is she was a much happier climber with the more comfortable set-up.