exit 32 exit 38- dry? still wet?

jesselillis

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out to Exit 38 Deception Crags yesterday. EVERY ROUTE on Write off Rock, Decection Wall, and the one left of Deception Wall(always forget the name)was perfectly dry! We didn't even check out the other places but I didn't find a wet route the whole day. The Deception area is a great winter destination as it stays dry almost year round

P.s. went to Far side(gritscone) and found only 2 dry routes(5.10a and 5.11aish) but things could have changed by now. Don't take a chance go with deception when snow lingers!

Many crags at 32 and 38 have seepage issues that last after rains. So if it rains 3 days in a row and you go out on the first sunny day many crags may be dripping wet, but some will be dry. I won't try to suggest a list. The overhanging sections of WWI at 32 are reliably dry and reliably hard, or moderate if you are Mike Layton.

I was up there this afternoon and saw a good-sized black bear on the trail to the Far Side. He was very handsome. We stared at each other then he bounded downslope toward the river. No pics.

This was the first time I've seen a bear on the I90 corridor. I'm glad to know they are out there.

There was snow in the shadows. Gritscone looked very wet, but I don't see the appeal of that thing anyway. Interstate and Eastern block were pretty dry. We're working on a new crag in that area that has several multipitch lines and even some trad pitches (5.7ish to 5.10+). Send PM if interested in a tour sometime.

We're working on a new crag in that area that has several multipitch lines and even some trad pitches (5.7ish to 5.10+). Send PM if interested in a tour sometime.

We're going to make it a little easier too. At some point in the coming months we'll post something with directions to the crag, topos/gear info for the cleaned and established lines (there are about 8 so far).

When we left the other day I counted 27 cars at the Far Side and 23 at the Deception area. I don't know how many were at the Mt Washington trailhead as we didn't drive up there.

A few may be hikers and other non-climbers, but that's still a lot of cars and people! Maybe a carpool thread would cut down on the number of vehicles/break-in targets/CO2 emitters.

Just so I can feel worse, how crowded was Index on Sunday?

I made the mistake of going to X38. Like Rad said, it was packed. People kicking rocks down on other crags, and one dude tried to claim a route for toproping that he wasn't even planning on climbing right away. WTF! :tdown: