CC.com and Northwest culture

Rad

Seattle is not as cold as the rep.

I came out from a midwestern city that was control by angry lesbians (not that there's anything wrong with that). Upon arrival here, I remember spotting a pregnant woman waiting for a bus - something almost unheard of back there. "Wow" i thought, "Maybe men and women actually enjoy each others company on occasion out here". Back there, all sex between a man and woman is considered to be rape.

There are colder places than Seattle and I have enjoyed my stay here thus far. :laf:

:lmao:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry you sensitive types. I am not maligning your shining white character. Just wondering if CC is an outlet for any of those polite types mentioned in the article.

For the record, I love it here and have not had trouble making friends. I generally don't hang out with co-workers and drink beer after work, so if that doesn't happen it's not a loss. I've always found the best way to make friends is to do something you're passionate about with other people - like play ultimate or climb.

I did live in Boston, where drivers are notoriously aggressive, and adapted to that. Here, when everyone stops at a 4-way intersection and waves at each other I put my foot on the accelerator and zoom through! Works for me. Works for them.

From Blakes article:

Peter Dunne, 42, searches Yahoo Personals for a potential boyfriend using the free Wi-Fi at University Zoka coffee shop. After living in San Francisco and Los Angeles, Dunne finds Seattle a social wasteland. “There's no sexual energy here at all,” he says. Seattle is “a city of the mind . . . a city of geeks. People here . . . they totally blow you off. And these are good friends, right? They just don’t call you. It’s unbelievable.”

who here has been blown off by a geek!?? what an unfair representation!

I think the problem is that Mr. Dunne couldn't find a geek to blow him off...

East Coasters, where I'm from...

If you and your family weren't born in the NW please feel free to go back to wherever the fuck it is you're actually from if you don't like it here.

Nice try. I actually live in the house behind yours have my eye on you. By the way, you might want to move that hide-a-key. It's just too obvious.

Seattle is not as cold as the rep.

I came out from a midwestern city that was control by angry lesbians (not that there's anything wrong with that). Upon arrival here, I remember spotting a pregnant woman waiting for a bus - something almost unheard of back there. "Wow" i thought, "Maybe men and women actually enjoy each others company on occasion out here"...:laf:

Such...cough..turkeybaster...cough...innocence.

Must not have stayed in the lesbian rampart *that* long....

Don't worry you sensitive types. I am not maligning your shining white character. Just wondering if CC is an outlet for any of those polite types mentioned in the article.

For the record, I love it here and have not had trouble making friends. I generally don't hang out with co-workers and drink beer after work, so if that doesn't happen it's not a loss. I've always found the best way to make friends is to do something you're passionate about with other people - like play ultimate or climb.

I did live in Boston, where drivers are notoriously aggressive, and adapted to that. Here, when everyone stops at a 4-way intersection and waves at each other I put my foot on the accelerator and zoom through! Works for me. Works for them.

lick sack

funny, i noticed the exact same thing after getting out here, and adopted the exact same response.

Porter, dealing w/ Seattle women gives me a bigger splitting headache.

And as for the drivers... I'm with Ivan and Rad, however, sometimes you get stuck behind the fuck-wad uptight Seattlelite piece of shit mo-fo that's indicates a "free right" turn, but instead blocks both the straight ahead lane AND the right turn lane (at a light) and then doesn't take the free right! Move your subi/pee-us/volve you beotch Nodder!

PS, I do great take some joy in seeing the sonics being taken to OK! It's so fitting! Fuck Schultz...

PSS, I think I'm angry tonight? OMG!

PNW people are extremely sensitive and touchy, but very polite in person. They are highly passive aggressive, and have a hard time expressing opinions not followed by the herd. But unlike other people who follow the opinion of their peers, PNW'ers don't have the balls to back up their opinions if confronted by someone who challenges them.

Like people from Colorado, PNW think they are intellectually better and also more progessive than the rest of the world. Which makes PNW'er the smuggest people on earth.

So to sum it up:

PNW'ers are smug and spineless. If we were a country, we'd be France.

East Coasters are smug with balls. They would be Germany

Midwesterners and Southerns are down to earth with balls- They would be, well...the United States

Who's not smug (down to earth) without balls? i.e. Mexicans

Edited by layton

PNW people are extremely sensitive and touchy, but very polite in person. They are highly passive aggressive, and have a hard time expressing opinions not followed by the herd. But unlike other people who follow the opinion of their peers, PNW'ers don't have the balls to back up their opinions if confronted by someone who challenges them.

Like people from Colorado, PNW think they are intellectually better and also more progessive than the rest of the world. Which makes PNW'er the smuggest people on earth.

So to sum it up:

Midwesterners and Southerns are down to earth with balls- They would be, well...the United States

gotta save this one.

The south REALLY sucks ass big time. Balls, Nope, just racists, classists, and way too fucking hot and humid.

As for Colorado and UT, they are good for stopping the "east infestion".

And the Midwest, well you know why they call it the heartland, b/c it's got no brain (George Carlin.)

The Canadian dollar is doing well! Go Looney...

i've had to work with a number of people located in the south, and in general i've found most of them to be even more passive aggressive than people from the PNW....these are just corporate types...maybe that kind of work attracts them.

the state i love to think of as of late is Alaska. where all the people who didn't fit in down here went. i was just up there in the SE, it was so nice I forgot to think about what type of people might live up there or typify them in anyway. though i did get in an traffic accident on an island with only 5 miles of paved road...t-boned by a nice 95 year old gentleman.

laconte.jpgstikine.jpgwrangell.jpg

So to sum it up:

I think you have the REAL PNWers confused with all the people who have moved here over the past 30 years. the people from here 2nd or 3rd generation shoot straight. but most the people i know who are from here are red necks.

I met a bunch of Alaskans from Fairbanks when I moved here. One has become a close friend. Between the eternal night in winter and eternal sunshine in summer they definitely dance to the beat of a different drummer. They are all sincere and loyal, if a bit twisted in their own ways. Passive non-aggressive. All of them could go for weeks or months with no communication with you but when you see them again it's like you were never apart. And yes, they have balls.

Last weekend I was in Dallas for a wedding. It was a gorgeous spring day and I went for a run in the arboretum. I was the only person running in the arboretum, including small children, and I half expected the cops to chase me down to see if I had snatched someone's purse. The arboretum was a bit like a british garden: manmade features crammed with orderly rows of plants to leave no doubt that humans are all-important and nature must bow to us. I saw one couple with their expensive camera snapping pics of a squirrel eating trash. Look honey, wildlife! Spring was lovely, but it's hot and humid in the summer, cold in the winter, interlaced with a sprawl of freeways and corporate office buildings, and flat in every direction. The "lake" was a brown mud pit with a bike trail around it. I saw lots of people biking, but the number of people who exercise regularly, as determined by muscle tone in spandex, was less than 5%, and these are the ones who actually got out on their bikes! Supersized people in a supersized state. No thank you.

My mom's family is from Kansas and Illinois. Them folks are white bread and smoke like you would not believe. I remember a wedding reception years ago with a man who'd had throat cancer. He was still addicted so he smoked through his stoma. Now that's an image to show your kids when they pick up a cigarette.

My only beef with PNW is that people feel the need to hold hands and talk about their feelings and sing Kumbaya before making a decision. If you do go and make a decision without taking those steps you risk being labeled "autocratic", which is like getting branded with the scarlet letter.

I can attest to the fact that the direct communication that people who don't live in the NE love to applaud from a distance is considerably less charming in person. I'd kind of enjoy watching people who sing the praises of these virtues via a hidden camera while they drive through Boston.

"Hey - the guy who ran the red light and almost T-boned me while narrowly missing two pedestrians while tossing his trash out the window and flipping the old lady with the cane off when she yelled at him to slow down...aaaah, how delightfully self-assertive, how bracingly direct and iconoclastic, such a wonderfully change from that stultifying civility and restraint in the PNW...."

Not likely to happen, I'd say.

I'll take people who are generally civil, keep their hostility to themselves, and at least pretend to care about extending the same courtesy to others that they'd like to have extended to themselves most of the time anyday. There'll be at least two vacancies here in a couple of months. Any of you folks pining for the attributes that are so sorely lacking in the PNW are welcome to my spot. All yours.

Perhaps CC works for y'all because you can vent your more volatile and odiferous parts here.

no. i think as mattp once said, most people post here for the amusement of seeing something they wrote plastered onto the internet. we are all basically artists trying to express ourselves with no expectation of reward or fame.

My only beef with PNW is that people feel the need to hold hands and talk about their feelings and sing Kumbaya before making a decision. If you do go and make a decision without taking those steps you risk being labeled "autocratic", which is like getting branded with the scarlet letter.

thats the hippies and kalifornicaters who moved here in the 60's and 70's. Ya'll don't know what you are talking aobut.

p.s. I was just watching the Alaska Adventure on Disc with my son. We decided that my God Father who is from Alaska would be the person to take on a trip like that. he can hunt and kill any thing, build anything and fix anything. Plus he is a fun drunk :)

Hmm, I read the articles and all these peoples responses, and was forced to ask myself this question. I'm born and raised PNW, so are these my basic personality traits? And after thinking about it a while I hate to admit it, but yeah, most of them are. Being nice and civil is important to me, with people I know and don't know. Why make somebody else's day crappier? But when I say have a nice day, do I actually mean, 'have a nice day somewhere else' as one author suggested? And after thinking about it for a while, and I feel like a bitch for saying it, but yes I do. Because this is the PNW, there's hiking, and climbing, or XBOX, or my piano, or grocery shopping at the farmer's market, or riding bikes, or going kayaking, or gardening, and really awesome restaurants to try, and sailing, and skiing/boarding, and if I'm not doing it at the moment, I'm trying to get my stuff done as quickly and smoothly as possible so I can return to doing these other things. That's what we're all here for, right? Most people don't move here or stay here for the neighbors, or to have an argument at the bus stop, or for the traffic or the rain. We move here or stay here because the day-to-day is pleasant, the regional economy supports our recreational lifestyles, and it's easy to find activity partners that don't need you to be their best friend in addition to their partner, so you can focus on what you're trying to accomplish, whether it's hiking, climbing, or sailing, and appreciating how cool the land here is. It seems like I've met most of my close friends by a shared love for an activity, like climbing, not just socializing for the sake of socializing. Is it really that different from other places? Do people in other places meet by going to a party or something, get in an argument about politics or religion, decide they're friends, and then go do stuff together? And is it really that wrong to be focused on having fun instead of on arguing with people?