CC.com and Northwest culture

Rad

maybe the question we need to ask is what part of the PNW are you talking about. The rural areas are vastly different than the city period. I now live 30 miles east from the rural logging community i was raised in and it is a different world. you cross the river even more to the east and you are back in a rural community. along with those rural communities you also have a lack of education, bigotry, overt racism (rather than the polite behind the back kind) and sexism. I lived in a neighborhood in a small rural town where the whole neighbor hood came out to build a fence when one needed building. where when i forgot my key and was locked out the neighbor lady would haul me into her house and feed me a snack and give me some kitchen table to do my home work at. I lived in a neighbor hood where the kids had WARS and climbed trees, we played in the woods, road horses, were scared of the guy up the road who lived in the haunted old house and we caught polly wogs and salamanders, we road cows (DID TOO) and played in the orchard up the road and the acres of gardens on the farms that surrounded the neighborhood. We made jam, picked berries canned fruit made cider chopped our own Christmas tree. sobbed when they put the cow down that we road becuase that was dinner for the next year. We plucked chickens and ate them, we went to the woods not to hike when i was a kid, we hiked to find and chop fire wood, to hunt and to work. I am second generation rural PNW. City folks are a whole different breed. i am a bit sad that i am raising my kids the city way and not the country way. they are getting a way better education though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps CC works for y'all because you can vent your more volatile and odiferous parts here.

no. i think as mattp once said, most people post here for the amusement of seeing something they wrote plastered onto the internet.

Really? How does that explain all the IT people who post here? Most of us see shit we work on online every day. Woo hoo.

Muff, thanks for describing the rural PNW experience as well. I think the articles posted were more about the urban and suburban experience, so it's a good reminder that there is more to the PNW than Seattle and Portland. I think the neighborhoods that I've lived in around Seattle, Seattle burbs, and Olympia burbs, very much had that genuine desire to help each other out when needed, whether it was jumping someone's car, moving a couch, or building a fence. But as far as the kind of closeness, such as knowing when your neighbor's aunt has cancer, I think that's kind of rare. Maybe that's what people find so wierd about us: that the desire to avoid conflict or negativity is stronger than the desire to connect.

Muff, thanks for describing the rural PNW experience as well. I think the articles posted were more about the urban and suburban experience, so it's a good reminder that there is more to the PNW than Seattle and Portland. I think the neighborhoods that I've lived in around Seattle, Seattle burbs, and Olympia burbs, very much had that genuine desire to help each other out when needed, whether it was jumping someone's car, moving a couch, or building a fence. But as far as the kind of closeness, such as knowing when your neighbor's aunt has cancer, I think that's kind of rare. Maybe that's what people find so wierd about us: that the desire to avoid conflict or negativity is stronger than the desire to connect.

you have a good point there. just because the neighbors were friendly didn't mean they were friends. perhpas we in the PNW do avoid conflict more than east coasters do?? i tend to think it's not that we aren't saying what is on our mind.... it's that we just don't care that much. I think what many people see as politeness is just indiference. perhpas they find us wierd becasue we still have that fiercly independent nature that brought people over the rockies and here in the first place.

It is good to remember that even the PNW is made up of many differnt reigons. if you head out to eastern Oregon it is horse country and a whole differnt flavor of PNW (except Bend)

the state i love to think of as of late is Alaska. where all the people who didn't fit in down here went. i was just up there in the SE, it was so nice I forgot to think about what type of people might live up there or typify them in anyway. though i did get in an traffic accident on an island with only 5 miles of paved road...t-boned by a nice 95 year old gentleman.

You were in the southeast which essentially consists of subsidized washington transplants. Come to Anchorage - we're all corporate jerks who are bitter we because don't make as much as those in the Seattle office.

Spoken like a true VA Tech transplant. :laf:

Hey, I turned Jake Gano on to you. He's moving to Anchorage soon. He's got a thread over in Climbing Partners. Mebbe you can hook up and help him become bitter as well. Cheers, Billy!