Shasta In 1 Day

jaypeak88

Hi All,

I'm climbing Shasta in a day with my dad this June. While I'm a veteran of Rainier, the Grand Teton, and Mount Whitney (in 1 day), the big vertical gain of the Avi Gulch is intimidating. Has anyone here ever done it in one day via this route? If so can you just give me an idea of how long it took to reach Horse Camp/Helen Lake/Red Banks?

Just looking for a little bit of general info, as most of the trip reports I have read have not yielded much.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple years ago a friend and I climbed Shasta in a day, door-to-door from Seattle. We left home after work on Friday night, drove straight through to the start of the climb. We arrived around 3AM and slept in the bed of my pickup for 3 hours. We then climbed up and down the mountain in about nine hours. It would have been faster but there wasn't much glissading on the bottom half of the mountain. We then got in the car and drove home, arriving back home before midnight.

For comparison, it took me 28 hours to climb Rainier car-to-car. So, obviously, Shasta is a much quicker climb. It's about equivalent to Mt. Adams.

7 hours up and 5 hours down done at a slow and steady pace with a rookie partner. I think Helen Lake was about three hours in. And I agree with what JohnGo said. I've also done Whitney in a day and I'd say Shasta will be a bit easier as long as you have decent snow conditions.