North Cascades - Easy Non Technical Mountains

summerprophet

Hey all,

Looking to spend the weekend up in the mountains, and work off the winter fat. Just looking to stretch my legs and lungs, so not looking for anything I need to haul a rope for.

Anything with open access to get me up into the alpine and bag some casual peaks without a mega hike? (ie. Hiking up a closed road)

Thanks for the responses.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of nice peaks accessible from Snoqualmie Pass. Granite Mountain and Snoqualmie Mountain both offer relatively easy climbs to a summit with views, albeit views that include the Interstate (from Granite you might not be able to actually see it but you’ll hear it during a calm night). Along highway 2, Rock Mountain on Nason Ridge might be a possibility, but I’m not sure about parking. Skyline (often called “Heather”) Ridge across the highway from Stevens’ Pass ski area is not a bad place to go either but it sounds as if you may be looking for a little more of a hike and a little more of a "mountain" than that.

If you don't mind a little bit of road hiking, the North Peak of Canon Mountain and Mt. Cashmere, above Icicle Creek near Leavenworth, would be good choices.

None of these peaks can be called “alpine,” but they’ll get you up high enough to feel you’re on something, they offer views and they don't require you to drive hundreds of miles from E'burg to get there.

The Twin Sister's Range near Bellingham offers fairly easy access (with some approach beta) to the alpine environment. The west ridges of the North and South Twin's are both great 4th class scrambles with some exposure to make you feel like you are climbing. Probably still a good bit of snow on parts of each as well.

assuming you want things closer to home, so I90 options are the best.

There is a trail that goes up to a saddle between guye and snoqualmie mtn. From the saddle you canhead p towards guye peak for a non technical scramble up that way. It is a very nice day trip. Not sure if the trail is a regular maintained trail or a climber track. Going to snoqualmie would be good too.

Never been in there but I think that there are some options in the common wealth basin area.

A bit far for you but I think Sauk mtn would be good also, especailly while there is some snow in there.

Some good areas in the North Cascades are North Fork of the Entiat, Emerald, Saska, etc. or off the Chiwawa River Rd are, 7 finger Jack and Maude. These can be all class 2 or easy 3.

If you look at the 100 highest list, there are lots of nice groupings of easy peaks, both in and out of the North Cascades. A couple other good areas for peak bagging are the Sawtooth and Psayten.

Have fun