Leavenworth alpine stuff?

woodchips

I'm going to be in Leavenworth this weekend, and looking for suggestions. I've never really done much over there :shock:, but I'm looking for a day trip. If it warms up as predicted, I'll be looking for something with less avalanche exposure. We were looking at Colchuck, but seems like that could be problematic if avi conditions are bad. Any other suggestions for easy/moderate rock stuff or a ski tour? Otherwise, it looks like we'll just be cragging with everyone else.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The North Peak of Cannon Mountain is a pretty good day tour. Approach from the extension of the road beyond the Mountaineers Creek trailhead, and climb via the basin north of the peak and the Cannon Mountain Couloir that is prominent when viewed from Bridge Creek Campground, or follow the road a little further and skin up the west slope.

jaberwocky tower is much cooler as a basic alpine climb then yellowjacket - for the same difficulty/length, it has much more alpine ambience, much more classic alpine approach, and a much fucking cooler poem about it too :)

get up there, snicker-snack! don't forget yer vorpal blade, neither...

jaberwocky tower is much cooler as a basic alpine climb then yellowjacket - for the same difficulty/length, it has much more alpine ambience, much more classic alpine approach, and a much fucking cooler poem about it too :)

get up there, snicker-snack! don't forget yer vorpal blade, neither...

I'll check that out too; is there a good description in the Beckey guide?

I'm really partial to backcountry stuff, even if it means more hiking/skiing in and less climbing, so a short "alpine" rock route is ideal for this weekend.

Edited by woodchips

there is a description in brown beckey - jaberwocky is hard to distinguish from colchuck lake, but it's just in front and to the left of colchuck balanced rock - you'll have to walk the whole road and trail to colchuck lake, then slog up an approach gully a good 500 feet or so - the routes only two pitches to 5.6 or something i think, but there'll be snow on parts of it i imagine and thus fun. beckey's description is fairly minimimal, but you don't need much as it's pretty obvious. this is probalby the best time of year in that you won't have to contend w/ the mother-fawk'n slide alder hell-fuck that obstructs the entrance to the gully later in the year.