• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JackY

Tetons footwear

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for opinions on footwear for approach and routes up to and including 5.7 on The Grand, Teewinot, and Owen.

Thanks,

Jack

A good approach shoe such as the La Sportiva B5 will do great for those routes and the approaches. I did the Exum last summer in my running shoes. Hiking boots would be a wise choice if you're going to camp at the base of the climbs, due to the extra weight of the pack. There is alot of talus hopping on your way to the Lower Saddle of the Grand, so extra ankle support would be good.

Check out the Garmont Towers. Confortable for the approach and the great to climb with.

The two times I have been there I mainly climbed and hiked in approach shoes Montrail D7 and 5.10. There is not that much talus hoping to warrant having hiking boots.

I went last september and wore hiking shoes up. A little sturdier than tennis shoes, but half the weight of boots. Boots are not needed, unless you are going up early enough where you will encounter a lot of snow.

I carried climbing shoes in my pack.

A couple years ago we went up the Koven coulor in mid July and had to wear crampons / boots. Everywhere else we wore tennis shoes.

i did the grand traverse last year in b5's - partner in five tennies - i think the tennies were easier on his feet for the easier terrain. but the edging was better in the b5's. either worked well for us.

Check out the Exum Guide and the Camp Four, both made by 5.10 to do exactly for what you're asking for. It's a little harder to find retailers that carry the 5.10 line up, but worth the hunt.