ScottP

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that is some amazing schtuff!

Q:

How do you guys join your panos? Photoshop, one detail at a time? Program?

On Daniel, Gregg hauled a tripod up to the 7500 foot camp. I believe it has a level (that little bubble in a tube) and gradations (from 0 to 360 degrees), so he could take precise photos that would line up perfectly. I can't remember what software he uses (I asked once, but forgot).

Photoshop works fine if you have the patients to work with it. Autostitch also is a good way to go.

To take a high qual pana image you really need to use a tripod unless you are over shooting the frame of the image and intend on cropping your image after the stitching process.

Most newer cameras have a pana setting that allows you to perform most of the alignment of the next shot in the camera with an overlay. Check your camera, unless you are lugging a DSLR up the mountain it should have this feature.

One last tip, if you are attempting to shoot a pana, be careful if you are using auto exposure settings on your camera. Each shot will come out with a different appearance and need to be adjusted properly in order to be stitched together.

Great Shots BTW!!!

If you look at the panos carefully, they're not perfect. They look sharp because the blending uses minimal overlap. But on close inspection I can spot nearby areas with replicated textures.

I spot really cool climbing and skiing lines.

Autopano is a commercial version of autostitch. I use it and it is very good. Using the "pano" on your camera is helpful because on some cameras it keeps the exposure the same which is important when doing these.

I use a Canon 30D so I stay in full on manual mode and stick with a given color balance that way there's little to no variation.

If you look at the panos carefully, they're not perfect. They look sharp because the blending uses minimal overlap. But on close inspection I can spot nearby areas with replicated textures.

I spot really cool climbing and skiing lines.

One more key in my view is that art is not meant to be perfect...art represents life's imperfections. It is a mirror in which to paint the imperfect lives we live...

I clued Gregg in to this thread. His comments on the "imperfections":

"It's true most of the early panos have noticeable imperfections - we are going back to 2000 here, with slides scanned into digital images. Later ones are a lot better, basically due to better software, and better lenses. Although not necessarily more expensive lenses - the used Canon S70 point-and-shoot I bought (eg Vesper) has a great pano lens.

A couple of the panos (KoolAid morning, Skyline Divide Sunrise) are indeed certifiably "perfect". They have been accepted by the flickr "Perfect Panoramas" group!"

cool, i'll need to check them out in hi-res.

another comment on panoramas: how do you guys view them?

i've been turned off by them for a while because i haven't been inspired to interactively view them in a viewer or to view them as a 10:1 aspect image.

i'd almost prefer several 3:2 images from a pano that capture the coolest parts.

the only way the pano would have an advantage for me is as an immersive experience. Do they have viewers these days that can zoom into / fly through a pano full-screen (1024x768 or larger) and be smooth and sharp?