Wanted: Multipitch pack

Alpinfox

I want a pack that will hold two pairs of running shoes, two windbreakers, two headlamps, a liter or two of water, and a few clif bars - something the follower would carry on a multipitch rock climb with a walkoff.

What have you used that you liked?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCW Valdez or Cilogear 30L worksack are both good choices; in this size, I use the CCW.

Pros of CCW: the fabrics have a bomber feel, very narrow profile stays out of the way.

Cons of the CCW: a little heavier.

I haven't used the 30L Cilogear, but I have used their other sizes and I'm pleased with their construction. The Cilogear pack (sans framesheet, which you don't need anyway for loads this small) is lighter than the CCW.

FYI, the shoulder padding of the CCW is softer/cushier than the Cilogear. The Cilogear is firmer, and offers good support, but, well, they're just different.

I use a 12 liter MEC pack that I think has been discontinued, but it's very similar to the BD Bbee or Bullet. All the stuff you listed, can fit into one of those (and nothing else). When I did Epinephrine a few weeks ago (16 pitch, 5.9, plus a lengthy walk off) we both ended up carrying a pack of this size to accommodate extra water and insulation. I find I still want my jacket, water, and snacks with me on long routes so I can be warm, eating, and drinking while I bring the follower up, especially since we led in blocks, so having my own pack is still nice. In the harder chimney pitches we clipped both packs together and had the follower bring them up on a sling under him, otherwise each carried his own.

If I really wanted just one pack for two people, the MEC Alpinlite is pretty good.

The Genie was "replaced" by the Alpinelite 30

I purchased one of the Alpenlite 30's last summer ... works well for ice climbing/1-2 day summer-fall over nighters, etc ... however the top lid flops around a bit to much unless it's fully stuffed.

I've been looking at the Mountain Tools Jet Pack and Jet Stream for a while .. anyone ever owned/used one

CCW Valdez or Cilogear 30L worksack are both good choices; in this size, I use the CCW.

Pros of CCW: the fabrics have a bomber feel, very narrow profile stays out of the way.

Cons of the CCW: a little heavier.

I haven't used the 30L Cilogear, but I have used their other sizes and I'm pleased with their construction. The Cilogear pack (sans framesheet, which you don't need anyway for loads this small) is lighter than the CCW.

FYI, the shoulder padding of the CCW is softer/cushier than the Cilogear. The Cilogear is firmer, and offers good support, but, well, they're just different.

I have the C Cold World Valdez and would just mention a couple negatives IMO.

I don't mind the slightly extra weight if its tough (which it is) but I hate the stupid "pull up" shoulder strap adjusters (wtf? just to be different?). The main complaint though is that because it rides high on the back, I get the "helmet bonk" when I look up (even with the top lid removed). It carries great on the approach ,but for technical climbing you gotta be able to look up with a helmet on and this one makes it hard to do. It's profile is thin and long though and that's good, and for some routes I guess you just have to compromise or chose something with less capacity.

The "ideal" technical pack I think would ride slightly lower or have helmet clearance and also have gear loops (but not lose the capacity either) - I guess you do have to compromise in the end.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to replace a North Face "Klettersack" that I had for about 14 years.

73d0_1.JPG

TNF Klettersack

That 18L Arc'teryx pack might be the ticket. Only 255g is nice. Clip in pts are nice. I think the Grivel Manu might be too small. John, can you fit two pairs shoes, etc in it? All the gear racking widgets on there might be nice.

I think the Grivel Manu might be too small. John, can you fit two pairs shoes, etc in it? All the gear racking widgets on there might be nice.

Grivel Manu: looks great with a handlebar mustache! :laf:

nice_socks.JPG

Back on topic: yes you can get two pairs of shoes in the Manu but not much else... I tend to reach for the manu on routes where I am planning on carrying just my stuff the entire route and not hauling and my partner doing the same... that pic was taken CNR of Stuie... both Brock and I took a Manu... just enough room for one's stuff.

If you are planning on carrying all the "non climbing gear" (both pair of shoes, water, etc etc) then yes the Manu is too small... I personally use a CCW Valdez for trips like that where the second is going to carry everything (and or we haul the bag).

Though the Manu integrated gear sling is kinda nice IMO it makes for a slower overall time on route as you have to unclip everything off the manu and hand it to your partner instead of just handing over an organized gear sling... I dont rack gear on mine.

Other stuff I like about the Manu: hydration bladder hose hole in the top, lightweight and cheap! I should mention I own the older design.

Hope this helps!

I like the Grivel Manu too - but for what you're asking for (to carry 2 pairs of shoes plus 2 windbreakers), I think it'll be too small.

I believe it's only 13L.

That Arcteryx 18L pack looks like a pretty nice one that could probably meet your needs.

Cilogear also makes a 20L pack that's a bare-bones summit pack and not much heavier than the arcteryx. (280g).

cilogear 20L

The old style black Grivel Manu is slightly smaller than the CiloGear 20L WorkSack. The new style yellow Manu is much much smaller. I don't think you could fit two pairs of size 12 running shoes in any 20L packs. Also, the padding used in current CiloGear 20L and 30L packs falls into the "squishy" category.

I would mention that other than the CCW, all of the packs mentioned are made from relatively hi-tech and definitely much much lighter materials. Unless you have an extremely light touch, don't expect them to last anything like what your old Klettersack did...Honestly, the Cierzo 18 was the one new piece that dead bird did that I was really impressed with and I thought it is super cute, but the materials on that pack and on packs like our 20L or even the 30L worksack just aren't the same 500d or more Cordura used on that old TNF beastie.

The yellow Manu (pictured above) is the older style... it is 13L and I could get two pair of size 12 running shoes in it... yes a little tight but no prob.

You can also see it here: http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/products.php?gid=8&id=68

The new design (also yellow) can be seen here (also 13L): http://www.pagangear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=300

My Manu is still going strong after ~5 years of "moderate" use.

John, the manu pictured above is 18L, not 13L, and is the black one to which I referred. The new one is what I called "yellow" and is smaller. I must have big shoes. ;)

Trust me, I've taken them apart and put them back together again...;) If you look at where the zipper is on the old ones versus the new ones you can see where the Manu lost volume. FWIW, the black one's fabric seems more robust to me.

Interesting - everywhere I've looked online at the old style Manu still has it listed at 13L. Gearxpress, everestgear, mountaingear, etc... all list 13L for the old one.

Of course, it's kind of a moot point, since either version of the pack is still too small for what Alpinfox is looking for.

So Graham - your 20L is too small to fit in 2 pairs of shoes & 2 windbreakers?