Hood Conditions

sean_beanntan

Thursday 17th April: Sorry to post this so late but only now on a PC. Dug 3 snow pits Thursday Morning above crater rock at 10,240ft - 10, 450ft. Timberline reported 10 inches of snow for the previous 72 hours. Snow Pit showed 58cm on new snow on top of the ice crust. Tap test failed at 5!!!! Shovel Shear test failed on Easy. 2 weak layers, first failure on 12 inch wind slab, second failure 4 inches further down. Bonding to ice crust was pretty good. Lots of wind and snow loading and boot infill meant that a boot pen of 12 inches took about 15 minutes.

So stability pretty low. I guess with this new system this w/e, things will change again. Hope this helps someone :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Global warming is a bitch. Ski Bowl may opperate through May! Its been snowing at my house the for the last 6 months. When spring arives, and the snow consolidates, it is going to be an epic season on Hood. I am looking forward to hear about all the goodness. Transievers in late april, COME ON!

Overnight: A 40 percent chance of snow.

Monday: A 50 percent chance of snow.

Monday Night: Snow likely.

Tuesday: Periods of snow showers.

Tuesday Night: Snow showers likely.

Wednesday: Snow showers likely.

Wednesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers.

Thursday: A slight chance of snow showers.

Thursday Night: A chance of snow showers.

Friday: A chance of snow showers.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers.

Saturday: A chance of snow showers.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers.

DAMMIT!!! :anger: stop already!

Got up there Friday night and camped out in a snow cave near Illumination rock with intent of doing Leutholds come morning. Woke up at 5:20 to clear skies and surprisingly little wind. Unfortunately, after strapping on crampons for the initial descent onto Reid, it became immediately clear that we were not going to be able to get up the couloir. Waist deep sugar with very little consolidation across the whole glacier.

View across Reid from the saddle.

reid1.jpg

View of castle crags from the saddle.

reid2.jpg

Traversed across to the other side of the cleaver (large rock outcropping on right in photo...

I see how this could easily be conceived as part of Yokum in low visibility)

reid4.jpg

Took a look up at the route (small notch to the far left).

reid3.jpg

It looks like an amazing route, but we knew trudging up that thing in that snow would put us right in the couloir when the sun was starting to rain crap down. So instead just enjoyed the saddle views, ate lunch in the blazing sun, (saw two unfortunate souls trudging up the southside at 10am on what looked like the west crater rim route...godspeed fellas, it was damn hot by that point) Skied down windblown snow on Palmer and enojoyed a pitcher 30 minutes later.

Hope to do Leutholds sometime this year, but will probably wait for some more consolidation first. Our quick compression test showed a moderate failure at 12"-16" below the surface. Skinning the whole time saved our legs for sure as even trying to walk up from Palmer to the saddle was ridiculous without some kind of flotation. Can't wait for the spring season though. Snow will be here for a-while.

-Burglar

Cool, good to know. I think the snow depth coupled with the debris showers already coming down made us wary of starting up, but maybe next time we'll push a little farther to see if it improves. Thanks for the heads up though.

Also, is it typical to hug Yokum ridge to avoid some of that debris before the hourglass? Or stay to the right side instead? Don't think either way would escape it totally, but hopefully it would at least cut down on some exposure to it.

Also, is it typical to hug Yokum ridge to avoid some of that debris before the hourglass? Or stay to the right side instead? Don't think either way would escape it totally, but hopefully it would at least cut down on some exposure to it.

i don't think it much matters as there's crap that can rain down from everywhere, not just yokum's - i usually end up doing a fair amount of zig-zagging up luetholds anyway b/c i love all things french so much :)