Unsolicited Advice - Nalgene Bottle on Harness

SlickWilly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best version being on the "Welcome to the Canteen" LP!

Talk about a coincidental seque! When I saw Traffic, they were obviously saving "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" for the encore. Despite a 10-15 minute ovation following their final tune, they never came back on stage.

The next day, I read in the newspaper the reason there was no encore: Stevie Winwood, after leaving the stage, was hit in the head with a wine canteen (bottle).

The cornhole idiots that are freaking out over the alleged presence of BPA at homeopathic levels is yet another sad commentary on the general scientific ignorance of Americants. Nalgene pulling there product is an even darker commentary on the power of litigation in our society: it has nothing to do with health, they just don't want to get sued. Plus, these Al bottles are turning into the new "coffee mug on a carabiner" ID badge for the coolest of the cool eco-hipsters and college freshman. And how the fuck are you supposed to pour melted snow into some narrow ass Al bottle? Bring a funnel?

The cornhole idiots that are freaking out over the alleged presence of BPA at homeopathic levels is yet another sad commentary on the general scientific ignorance of Americants. Nalgene pulling there product is an even darker commentary on the power of litigation in our society: it has nothing to do with health, they just don't want to get sued. Plus, these Al bottles are turning into the new "coffee mug on a carabiner" ID badge for the coolest of the cool eco-hipsters and college freshman. And how the fuck are you supposed to pour melted snow into some narrow ass Al bottle? Bring a funnel?

So use a plastic PETE or HDPE bottle then you dufus. "I'm so old school I still have my white Nalgene from before they used polycarbonate"

Yes. So who's the cornhole? Too funny. :lmao:

Another thing, the bottled water that you pay as much as you do for gasoline, that has a "1" in the triangle? Scientists are saying that you shouldn't refill those bottles either. One time use, then toss/recycle. Another good reason to tote your own water from home in a #5 Nalgene bottle.

Drink tap water? Who knows what's in THAT shit!

People are chasing some mythical perfect diet and perfect set of habits that will result in zero health problems. It's just thrashing. Something is gonna get you at some point.

I don't advocate snorting asbestos for fun. There are things that are genuinely harmful and worth freaking out about, but I'm not convinced yet that this bis-a thing is really one of them. The NYT article I read earlier today pointed out that these resins have been used to line metal cans for the last 20 years and there is no good replacement for them yet. I think we ought to take a deep breath.

Not to mention that most of the substitutes have been less extensively studied, and have little or no track record in actual applications.

It's also worth considering the mode of action*, the dose threshold at which the effects occur, the duration of exposure at the said dose required to result in harmful effects, etc.

*mimics estrogen. Not the most worrisome mode-of-action for a toxin IMO. Might also be worth evaluating the potency of BPA versus phytoestrogens found in soy, flaxseed oil, etc - and just what we're talking about in terms of the harmful long-term effects of exposure to trace amounts of exogenous compounds that activate the estrogen receptor.

I wish I needed more Nalgenes, since I suspect that you can score some sweet deals on all of the polycarbonate bottles right now. Great waterbottles, but I've always prefered a bladder in the pack + hose + bite valve for most outdoor activities, climbing included.

Exactly.

Lastly, if you don't like the idea of flouride in your tap water, or you can smell the chlorine, just get a BRITA filter and run it through that. It works wonderfully; trust me.

But remember... that filter pitcher is likely made of Lexan - that nasty "#7" again. So put only cold water in the pitcher and consume/change it daily and you'll be fine.

According to this source, Brita filters contain no HDPE.

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/are-brita-water-pitchers-made-from-safe-plastic/

Seems to be relying on info from the manufacturer though.

If someone here knows either way, please post the info. I use my Brita everyday.

BPA was originally developed as a synthetic estrogen and then they discovered that they could polymerize it. From what I read the leaching is minimal as long as you don't put in anything too acidic and washing them in the dishwasher is really bad.

I think that is why Nalgene pulled them. Studies have shown toxicity after running through the dishwasher which is something they can't control.

I have no problems with the white Nalgene bottles and so far they tell me HDPE is A-OKAY.

Brita filters and jugs aren't polycarbonate. Apparently running cheap vodka through a Brita 6 times makes it taste less cheap.

And here we go...

"Nalgene sports bottle maker sued over toxic claims

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:24pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California mother sued Nalge Nunc International Corp, claiming the company knew, but downplayed risks, that a toxic substance in its popular Nalgene plastic sports bottles could leach into the bottles' contents and sicken consumers.

The case, filed on Tuesday, is believed to be the first consumer class action over the use of Bisphenol A, or BPA, in plastic sports bottles since Canada moved to ban baby bottles containing the substance and the U.S. government expressed concern over its safety last week.

Nalge Nunc, a unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, said on Friday it will phase out production of its Outdoor line of polycarbonate containers that include BPA over the next several months.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc also said on Friday it will pull baby bottles and other products made with BPA from its Canada stores immediately and phase the items out of its U.S. stores next year.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Sacramento, accuses Nalge Nunc of continuing to assert that BPA is safe long after dozens of studies linked the substance to hormone disruptions, infertility, early puberty, and cancer."

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2335756720080424

Jesus...

And here we go...

"Nalgene sports bottle maker sued over toxic claims

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:24pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California mother sued Nalge Nunc International Corp, claiming the company knew, but downplayed risks, that a toxic substance in its popular Nalgene plastic sports bottles could leach into the bottles' contents and sicken consumers.

The case, filed on Tuesday, is believed to be the first consumer class action over the use of Bisphenol A, or BPA, in plastic sports bottles since Canada moved to ban baby bottles containing the substance and the U.S. government expressed concern over its safety last week.

Nalge Nunc, a unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, said on Friday it will phase out production of its Outdoor line of polycarbonate containers that include BPA over the next several months.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc also said on Friday it will pull baby bottles and other products made with BPA from its Canada stores immediately and phase the items out of its U.S. stores next year.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Sacramento, accuses Nalge Nunc of continuing to assert that BPA is safe long after dozens of studies linked the substance to hormone disruptions, infertility, early puberty, and cancer."

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2335756720080424

Jesus...

Trial lawyers suck ass. :tdown:

That's gotta be the ignorant statement of the year, or at least the day. There are a lot of obnoxious and a few even criminal trial lawyers out there, but our legal system is built on the idea that the private citizens can bring their issues before a court and there are generally two (sometimes more) distinct sides to any question. Trial lawyers are essential for civil society unless you want to have some centralized top-down structure for the resolution of all disputes and claims.

That's gotta be the ignorant statement of the year, or at least the day. There are a lot of obnoxious and a few even criminal trial lawyers out there, but our legal system is built on the idea that the private citizens can bring their issues before a court and there are generally two (sometimes more) distinct sides to any question. Trial lawyers are essential for civil society unless you want to have some centralized top-down structure for the resolution of all disputes and claims.

There's nothing ignorant about it at all. We have too many lawyers (vultures) looking to make money first, fuck if it is right or wrong. :tdown::ass:

There's nothing ignorant about it at all. We have too many lawyers (vultures) looking to make money first, fuck if it is right or wrong. :tdown::ass:

Why do you blame the trial lawyer? Some Californian mother filed the suit, the lawyer is just doing the job he was hired to do. Why do you assume the lawyer is "looking to make money first?"

hey, I have a bunch of nalgene bottles and I've heard that they may be bad for me. Is this true? Please advise....

TIA!

BPA is a synthetic chemical that mimics estrogen, and under certain conditions trace amounts may leach out of the plastics in nalgene. The effective concentration of the said estrogen mimetic is probably at least several orders of magnitude lower than the threshold determined to have adverse health effects in animal studies, as is the frequency of the dose. The BPA that leaches from any plastic container under any circumstances will probably also have an effect on the genes governed by estrogen receptors that is also many orders of magnitude lower than the effect induced by the average meal of tofu, or any other dietary source of phytoestrogens.

If you are concerned enough to replace your Nalgene bottles on account of the risks outlined above, please hang on to them for me as I'd be glad to purchase them from you for $0.50 per bottle. I need to stock up so that I'll have enough to last for a while....

hey, I have a bunch of nalgene bottles and I've heard that they may be bad for me. Is this true? Please advise....

TIA!

BPA is a synthetic chemical that mimics estrogen, and under certain conditions trace amounts may leach out of the plastics in nalgene. The effective concentration of the said estrogen mimetic is probably at least several orders of magnitude lower than the threshold determined to have adverse health effects in animal studies, as is the frequency of the dose. The BPA that leaches from any plastic container under any circumstances will probably also have an effect on the genes governed by estrogen receptors that is also many orders of magnitude lower than the effect induced by the average meal of tofu, or any other dietary source of phytoestrogens.

If you are concerned enough to replace your Nalgene bottles on account of the risks outlined above, please hang on to them for me as I'd be glad to purchase them from you for $0.50 per bottle. I need to stock up so that I'll have enough to last for a while....

and yet, it's enough to cause mass hysteria, pulling items off of shelves (CYA), and the greedy vultures are circling...

Another reason why I find this episode at least somewhat amusing is that for me, the funk growing inside the Nalgene that's been siting in the back of my truck for two months in the summer has always been the paramount health concern of mine - even after cleaning it out....

TIA!

Most studies that claim polycarbonate is totally harmless have been criticized for ignoring or misrepresenting data the arrives at the opposite conclusion. I've been told by someone in the field that the way the human body deals with phytoestrogens from soy is totally different from how it deals with BPA.

In my opinion polycarbonate it is safe as long as it isn't put in the dishwasher (and possibly the microwave).

Mass hysteria is a total overstatement. Nalgene wouldn't pull the product unless there is a case. I think it is the right thing to do. There are perfectly good alternatives that serve the same function.

Keep your old ones. They last a long time.

Most studies that claim polycarbonate is totally harmless have been criticized for ignoring or misrepresenting data the arrives at the opposite conclusion.

If you are interested, a great statistic is the following: ( iread this on Wikipedia a month ago)

Of 131 studies of the health effects of bispehenol A, 110 studies funded and conducted by government and academia found some level of or potential adverse effect

21 studies funded and conducted by the plastics industry found no adverse effects

JayB and Kk, you guys want to argue that the industry knows what they're doing and the special interest groups in government and academia are pumping our dangerous, biased data?

Most studies that claim polycarbonate is totally harmless have been criticized for ignoring or misrepresenting data the arrives at the opposite conclusion.

If you are interested, a great statistic is the following: ( iread this on Wikipedia a month ago)

Of 131 studies of the health effects of bispehenol A, 110 studies funded and conducted by government and academia found some level of or potential adverse effect

21 studies funded and conducted by the plastics industry found no adverse effects

JayB and Kk, you guys want to argue that the industry knows what they're doing and the special interest groups in government and academia are pumping our dangerous, biased data?

"some level of" and "potential" - WOW those are STRONG conclusions. :rolleyes: