Unsolicited Advice - Nalgene Bottle on Harness

SlickWilly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're joking right? this has got to be a troll. I've never had a lid retaining strap break and I often hang a nalgene off my harness on climbs (but I do only use the 1/2-liter size and it is the soft type of nalgene). How many people have actually had a lid retaining strap break while it was hanging off your harness? you are much more likely to kill your partner by dislodging a rock or dropping a big cam on them. If its "un-cool" to clip your nalgene to your harness I guess I haven't really lost any ground.....

you're joking right? this has got to be a troll. I've never had a lid retaining strap break and I often hang a nalgene off my harness on climbs (but I do only use the 1/2-liter size and it is the soft type of nalgene). How many people have actually had a lid retaining strap break while it was hanging off your harness? you are much more likely to kill your partner by dislodging a rock or dropping a big cam on them. If its "un-cool" to clip your nalgene to your harness I guess I haven't really lost any ground.....

methinks that if a Nalgene bottle flies by your head it's more likely that someone put it down on the snow or ground next to them and it took off, rather than the lid strap breaking.

methinks that if a Nalgene bottle flies by your head it's more likely that someone put it down on the snow or ground next to them and it took off, rather than the lid strap breaking.

True, but straps still break, especially on the single liter size. It's no joke when they go flying by your or another's head whether the strap breaks or they're plain fumbled. Other gear too of course. I've spent a bit of time with large groups of new climbers in the alpine, but I've also had water bottle loops break with climbers/partners who knew better. It happens, no doubt. Enough. Just don't do it, young 'uns.

Clipping the bottle to your harness by the lid strap is a bad idea unless you just really don't care that you could lose your water or worse injure someone. I’ve popped them off just by holding a full Nalgene by the strap with my fingers. The point of attachment on the lid isn’t designed for upward pulling and that little disc will separate from the lid with a little extra force. The kind of force generated from a short fall or bashing it against the rock.

Please do not clip your Nalgene bottle to your harness using the the little plastic lid retainer. The lid retainer is meant to keep you from losing the lid - it is not meant to support the weight of a full water bottle. You will eventually lose your water bottle, which could cause you to become thirsty...and the water bottle might kill someone as it rockets down the cliff.

Two instances I was involved in:

- partner took a lead fall and his foot hit a nalgene clipped into the anchor on the way down. water bottle plummeted down 100 ft, narrowly missing RuMR's posse

- decided to borrow someone's nalgene to warm up my wrist prior to a frisbee game. broke the handle just from flicking my wrist a few times

Paul, where's the recycle logo on those things?

Doug-

First, ensure the bottle is empty or the lid is securely tightened.

Then, turn the bottle upside down. The logo is on the bottom. :grin:

billcoe-

Yes, you're absolutely correct. It will still leach with unheated liquids as the contents, just much more slowly than with heated contents. I guess I was trying too hard to calm the mass hysteria.

Steve-

Your welcome. And DEFINITELY DO NOT run them through the dishwasher! Mui bad!

Besides, more room in the wine rack is always a good thing, unless the rack is already filled!

counterfeitfake-

Actually, tap water in the US is some of the safest water to drink in the world. As an engineer whose job it is to ensure safe tap water, we prepare the annual Consumer Confidence Reports for the tap water of various cities in WA. The sampling and testing is unbiased, and goes on all year long. The results are reported to the city, and the city summarizes and publishes those results in your water bill in July. I often check what they publish to see if it jives to what we reported to them. It's always the same results. The next time you get your summer water bill and it has an extra brouchure in it, take the time to actually read what it says. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the quality of your tap water.

Read about Consumer Confidence Reports here

And before the rest of y'all jump my shit about "What about flouride in the tap water!!1?" and "I can taste the chlorine in my tap water!!!1", those concentrations are within the acceptable MCLs for those compounds. You may be experiencing a spike of chlorine that was required due to a pipeline extension project, a plant re-start or back-flush operation, or any number of other reasons. No one's trying to kill you through the public water system. :rolleyes:

Learn about contaminants here

Lastly, if you don't like the idea of flouride in your tap water, or you can smell the chlorine, just get a BRITA filter and run it through that. It works wonderfully; trust me.

But remember... that filter pitcher is likely made of Lexan - that nasty "#7" again. So put only cold water in the pitcher and consume/change it daily and you'll be fine.

Can I still at least belay off the lid retainier?

LOL...spraying water.

If you want to clip a bottle to your harness, why not use a Sigg bottle? It has a special lid just for this. Of course if you don't tighten it you could still drop bombs on RuMRs posse.

7533.30.JPG

Ditto the breaking experiences. How anyone that uses them regularly and has never had the keeper break that little circular piece clean off from the top of the lid is beyond me. I've broken at least 5 of them, and I don't clip them to anything (use the duct tape+webbing on mine). Usually happens when just carrying it.

I'll keep my lexan ones, thank you very much. If you ever need an emergency hot water bottle to toss in the bottom of your too cold sleeping bag, hdpe just don't cut it, aluminum has it's own issues, stainless could be the answer but I like to be able to see into my bottles, and like a wide mouth bottle for putting ice, mixes, etc into.

From what I read, if the inside is not scratched up, you're not putting hot liquids in it and then drinking them, and your're not storing water in them for long periods and then drinking it, you don't really have anything to fret about...except secondhand smoke, cholesterol, bad drivers, excessive aluminum, radon, trans fat, etc.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned about long term exposure/uptake of aluminum from the gear. But, washing the rope regularly, and using belay gloves would solve that.

Can I still at least belay off the lid retainier?

LOL...spraying water.

If you want to clip a bottle to your harness, why not use a Sigg bottle? It has a special lid just for this. Of course if you don't tighten it you could still drop bombs on RuMRs posse.

7533.30.JPG

Yeah... I don't trust that little piece of plastic either. Nylon webbing FTW.

Sobo, I am a big fan of tap water.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned about long term exposure/uptake of aluminum from the gear. But, washing the rope regularly, and using belay gloves would solve that.

Me too, I even use steel carabiners on occasion (short walk topropeing) to mitigate the aluminum issue.

Then my buddy Dave pointed out that EVERY damn time I drink a can of Coke, I must be getting via ingestion shitloads of AL as the Coke is fairly corrosive....hmmm thought I: right on, so then I would ONLY drink the cokes in the plastic bottles...... till I heard this plastic issue, then I pretty much mostly gave up on Cokes, except for lots of Whiskey-Colas of course.

I want ten minutes of my life back.

Slick: good comment about something idiots do and shouldn't

idiot: no it doesn't

other idiot: environmental bullshit

next idiot: health hazard propaganda

complete fucking idiot: bolting comment

total fucking idiot: alternative more expensive/heavier option

annoying idiot: political comment

biggest idiot: me reading and responding to this

This thread, including my own response, is the perfect example of why this website has gone 2 shit over the past 2 years.

Me again, the total fucking idiot who mentioned the Sigg bottle, have you ever picked one up? It's not heavy at all, it's actually lighter than a Nalgene bottle. It is expensive though, I think it has a certain cachet. :-(.

How anyone that uses them regularly and has never had the keeper break that little circular piece clean off from the top of the lid is beyond me.

I think they used to be a little stronger than they are now. Perhaps the first generation lexan bottles had a slightly larger collar/rim around the neck, or perhaps the lid and loop were a slightly different material. On my older bottles, the strap completely broke before the whole think pulled off the bottle.

This thread, including my own response, is the perfect example of why this website has gone 2 shit over the past 2 years.

Agreed. So please post a mormon monobrow monodoight first descent TR so we can laugh and lift our spirits!

Oh, it gets worse now that you're all sucked in:-) Now that the thread is going to hell, I got more, check this out.

Frozen_water_bottles_small.jpg

The effects of freezing Kleen Kanteens. The one that didn't split was all swollen up like a balloon, had to slam it down on the concrete to flatten out the bottom so it wouldn't roll over like one of those Clo0wn punching balloons.

bozo-the-clown-bop-bag.jpg

BTW, don't drop one of those Kleen Kanteens on someone either, or kick it down a snow slope say, from the top of the pearly gates, I'd rather be clown-punched by a Nalagene than have the stainless slamming into me.

You were warned about the thread going to hell and ya read this post anyway...dudes, I told ya:-) :lmao:

Agreed. So please post a mormon monobrow monodoight first descent TR so we can laugh and lift our spirits!

I wish I had something good (well actually I do but I'm saving it in case it develops....) BUT! If you want a good story, ask Skyclimb to post a TR about the pitstop with the couple at Indian Creek and how he became known as "The Pirate Maker" Now THAT's a good story!

If you want a good story, ask Skyclimb to post a TR about the pitstop with the couple at Indian Creek and how he became known as "The Pirate Maker" Now THAT's a good story!

Please send him a pm and ask. You can send him this:

Dear Mr Fantasy,

Play us tune, something to make us all happy.

Do anything, take us out of this gloom,

Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy.

You are the one who can make us all laugh,

But doing that you break out in tears.

Please don't be sad, if it was a straight mind you had,

We wouldn't have known you all these years.

:rocken:

(Traffic, though many have covered it)