Unsolicited Advice - Nalgene Bottle on Harness

SlickWilly

Please do not clip your Nalgene bottle to your harness using the the little plastic lid retainer. The lid retainer is meant to keep you from losing the lid - it is not meant to support the weight of a full water bottle. You will eventually lose your water bottle, which could cause you to become thirsty...and the water bottle might kill someone as it rockets down the cliff.

Really not trying to sound like a jerk - its a simple mistake that a lot of people just might not think about, but it is a simple mistake that could kill or seriously injure someone.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please do not clip your Nalgene bottle to your harness using the the little plastic lid retainer.

Clipping a water bottle on to your harness is a geek-trend only surpassed by shorts over polypro.

Maybe you should wear one of these Metolius bad boys: combination gear sling and hydration thang....you can safely suck down all the Red Bull you want while you're hangdoggin' before your desperate lunge for next the clip at Li'l Si or wherever...zzzzzz

bigwallgearsling_lg.jpg

Please do not clip your Nalgene bottle to your harness using the the little plastic lid retainer.

Clipping a water bottle on to your harness is a geek-trend only surpassed by shorts over polypro.

Maybe you should wear one of these Metolius bad boys: combination gear sling and hydration thang....you can safely suck down all the Red Bull you want while you're hangdoggin' before your desperate lunge for next the clip at Li'l Si or wherever...zzzzzz

bigwallgearsling_lg.jpg

Does it have extra loops for the bolt drill, and bolting hardware?

bigwallgearsling_lg.jpg

I don't believe so, but I'm sure people of poor environmental character could find a way to rig it just so.

I don't believe so, but I'm sure people of poor environmental character could find a way to rig it just so.

aww, come on dawg, that was a weak-sauce reply - you need to take some pep pills or something! how about a good witty reply like:

"whatdya need loops for? you can just shove the drill up yer ass?"!

Edited by ivan

I'm all for safety but I always clip my bottle by the lid holder. I have some old bottles and have never had one break. I was even chased away from a cliff by bees dropping a bottle and returning several months later to find the lid holder chewed half through by rats or something. It still hold just fine.

I'm all for safety but I always clip my bottle by the lid holder. I have some old bottles and have never had one break. I was even chased away from a cliff by bees dropping a bottle and returning several months later to find the lid holder chewed half through by rats or something. It still hold just fine.

That....and it's commonly just your brother climbing below:-)

Now about those F*ckin' bees..... hope the Lexan killed them.

Are people still using their nalgene bottles after all the hoopla about them releasing evil chemicals into their contents?

Sherri - Nalgene™ bottles are not all made of the same plastic.

True dat. Studies now show that it's not every plastic bottle out there, just the ones that have a "7" (Lexan) in the recycle symbol have Bisphenol-A (BPA) as the resin. BPA is the chemical that's garnering all the hoopla of which you speak. And it really only releases if you put hot liquids in the bottle; heat-on-plastic accelerates the leaching effect.

If you stick with the original, opaque white, Nalgene bottles ("5" in the recycle triangle) or use other bottles with a "2" or a "4" in the symbol, you'll be fine. There's too much hysteria over this whole thing. A month ago my wife ran through the house screaming and waving her arms over her head and threw out all of the kids' sippy-cups. Now they're drinking out of real glasses and spilling shit all over the damned house. :rolleyes:

Another thing, the bottled water that you pay as much as you do for gasoline, that has a "1" in the triangle? Scientists are saying that you shouldn't refill those bottles either. One time use, then toss/recycle. Another good reason to tote your own water from home in a #5 Nalgene bottle.

So remember: #2 (HDPE), #4 (LDPE), or #5 (PP) is good to go.

HDPE = high density polyethylene

LDPE = low density polyethylene

PP = polypropylene

mythosgrl's thread

avitripp's thread

I stopped searching after these two hits. There may be more on this here board. The interwebz is full of 'em...

And it really only releases if you put hot liquids in the bottle; heat-on-plastic accelerates the leaching effect.

The first part is not correct, the second is true.

Guess we're back to galvanized fabric covered canteens like we had in the 60's out in the desert. You could get the outside wet, hang it off your car's side mirror as you drove and it would cool the contents off. The galvanization kept it from rusting of course.

Please do not do a search on the hazards of galvanizing, many water pipes had it too. In 2020 I expect to read that the 18/8 Stainless Steel canteens (like I have now, the Kleen Kanteens) leached chromium and Nickel and we're all totally fu*ked and soon to be growing claws, having our sexual organs fall off and other rude stuff......

C'est le Vive............sigh.....shit, just drop a water bottle on me now from the top of the cliff and lets get it over with quick please.

Anyone want to see what a stainless steel Kleen Kanteen looks like when it freezes? Me either but it fu*ks them up bad. Leave it 3/4 empty and it should be fine. Last fall I filled up all my water bottles at a spring that runs pure and froze them for later consumpion....bad bad idea:-0

:lmao:

Edited by billcoe

Another thing, the bottled water that you pay as much as you do for gasoline, that has a "1" in the triangle? Scientists are saying that you shouldn't refill those bottles either. One time use, then toss/recycle. Another good reason to tote your own water from home in a #5 Nalgene bottle.

Drink tap water? Who knows what's in THAT shit!

People are chasing some mythical perfect diet and perfect set of habits that will result in zero health problems. It's just thrashing. Something is gonna get you at some point.

I don't advocate snorting asbestos for fun. There are things that are genuinely harmful and worth freaking out about, but I'm not convinced yet that this bis-a thing is really one of them. The NYT article I read earlier today pointed out that these resins have been used to line metal cans for the last 20 years and there is no good replacement for them yet. I think we ought to take a deep breath.

Please do not clip your Nalgene bottle to your harness using the the little plastic lid retainer. The lid retainer is meant to keep you from losing the lid - it is not meant to support the weight of a full water bottle. You will eventually lose your water bottle, which could cause you to become thirsty...and the water bottle might kill someone as it rockets down the cliff.

Really not trying to sound like a jerk - its a simple mistake that a lot of people just might not think about, but it is a simple mistake that could kill or seriously injure someone.

Right on, Slick, you just punched one of my hot buttons. I've been preaching this for over 20 years while witnessing at least 4 episodes of mostly full Nalgene bottles flying down due to "loop failure." Each subsequent time it's happened I believe I've gotten exponentially more pissed. I thought it obvious when looking at Nalgenes when I first started using them in the 80s; in my NSH opinion clipping by the loop is a newby/gumby/idiot thing. For those I've been around that don't heed the advice, I've used it as cause to pass, and cause to keep the lead.

or use a piece of webbing to make a "handle" by taping duct tape around the bottle.

Yup, works well, and in addition to the ubiquitous OR insulated jackets there's commercially available sewn slings.

R-dawg, while I think the former is more the sign of a geek (chalk bag attached with biner is another), and the latter is not my normal attire, next time I know you're going to be near I'll gladly wear shorts over polypro just because I know it turns you on so.

:wave:

Geek/idiot alert. You've been warned now. TWICE. Don't hold me responsible for anything I might do to you.

Thanks, Sobo, for the synopsis and clarification with the types and numbers there. I'm not a Chicken Little, but I'll likely be throwing out quite a few Lexan #7's because my wife likes to run them through the dishwasher. Now we'll have a little more room on the wine rack I use to hold our collection of water bottles.