• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JRCO

Portland Info

So JRCO and family are moving to Portland in a month. What are the must have rock, ice and mountaineering guide books for the area? Thanks,

portland rock and the smith rock guide

there is no ice - ever...

oregon high for mountaineering, but really just keep yer beckeys as all the real mountaineering is still up north (though hood is a most enjoyable diversion)

But does it have any photos of a peak in it?

Edited by Bug

So JRCO and family are moving to Portland in a month.

Welcome. There is some pretty good rock climbing in the area.....

portland rock and the smith rock guide

there is no ice - ever...

oregon high for mountaineering, but really just keep yer beckeys as all the real mountaineering is still up north (though hood is a most enjoyable diversion)

Not true! Once every 100 years some waterfalls in the gorge freeze.

Tim Olsen's site: http://www.mrpiton.com/ Says that the Portland Rock Climbs 3rd ed. is available at http://www.portlandrockclimbs.com/ . He has a great lookin' topo of Beacon too. I don't currently have one, so maybe I can borrow yours when you get it?

Anyway, probably get some good ideas perusing both of Tims sites, and welcome to Portland, although it really is a piss poor second stepchild to some of the awesome stuff that is up in Northern Washington.

also note that the portlandrockclimbs site does have online topos for all the areas covered in his book. It even has the I-rock & Lamberson Butte stuff that was taken out of the 3rd edition of the book.

(It even has "elusive" info such as an Ozone topo & directions to the Lake O crag)

(It even has "elusive" info such as an Ozone topo & directions to the Lake O crag)

figured that would send a few heads spinning...

yeah, i wasn't sure if most people knew about that already, or if i'd be fueling a fire....