Fall'n Into Da Crater

dmuja

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Nothing mentioned"? I've seen articles in the last three issues of the Oregonian. Its not front page material as it would be if it were a climber but the press is still covering it.

Face it, a sledneck falling into the crater ("hold my beer and watch this") just isn't as sexy as the life and death struggle of the EXTREME sport of alpine climbing. Ultimately they are trying to sell papers.

This must have been a hell of a fall. Anyone been up there would have snaileye just thinking of it. Damn big fall, bet if the snow wasn't so fluffy and deep it would have been a fatality.

Lucky (but stupid) fella there. When I was young, we would seek out cornices (with safe runouts) and bust them off as a group, just by jumping up and down in unison. It never ceased to amaze me that:

A) The ride was always so thrilling.

B) No one died getting rolled by a block of crusty snow.

Face it, a sledneck falling into the crater ("hold my beer and watch this") just isn't as sexy as the life and death struggle of the EXTREME sport of alpine climbing. Ultimately they are trying to sell papers.

Yup. Even snowmobilers falling 250 feet off a cliff aren't that sexy

http://www.kvnews.com/articles/2008/03/29/news/doc47ed433adef7c398306571.txt

Let me clarify:

Consider this quote:

"The gear he was wearing — a helmet, sturdy boots and riding bibs — probably helped save his life, said rescue officials. They also said it's legal to ride in that area, but not recommended for anyone other than an expert."

Would that quote have come out had it been a climber? It's well known it's illegal to ski the crater. Guess it's legal to fall in.

Second, have you seen any angry blogs come out about how St Helens should be closed from snowmobiling or he should have his kids taken away from him?

Yup. Even snowmobilers falling 250 feet off a cliff aren't that sexy

http://www.kvnews.com/articles/2008/03/29/news/doc47ed433adef7c398306571.txt

Sheriff Fred saves another from self-inflicted idiocy. :tup: