Fall'n Into Da Crater

dmuja

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowmobiles pay a permit fee.
What permit? I seriously doubt they purchased the climbing permit required as of the 4/1. To my knowledge the Forest Service has never enforced the climbing permit on snow machines. They are subject to the rule, but it's just not enforced like it is with the climbers. I can just about garantee you that none of them purchase climbing permits.

What permit? I seriously doubt they purchased the climbing permit required as of the 4/1. To my knowledge the Forest Service has never enforced the climbing permit on snow machines. They are subject to the rule, but it's just not enforced like it is with the climbers. I can just about garantee you that none of them purchase climbing permits.

Snowmobiles are required to be registered. In WA your $30 registration gets you a snowpark permit as well.

Snowmobiles are required to be registered. In WA your $30 registration gets you a snowpark permit as well.

Yes, but that permit doesn't give them access to the summit during the normal climbing permit season. They are perfectly within their right to summit before April 1 without a permit just like everyone else.

Got on the monuments web site and there doesn't seem to be any restriction for where snowmobiles can go (besides wilderness and the N side of St. Helens). If there was snow I think they could go up to the summit without a permit because they're not "climbing."

Got on the monuments web site and there doesn't seem to be any restriction for where snowmobiles can go (besides wilderness and the N side of St. Helens). If there was snow I think they could go up to the summit without a permit because they're not "climbing."

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument page: "Everyone must have a climbing permit to be above 4,800 feet elevation on Mount St. Helens."

I've snomo-accessed the Easton glacier.

Let me tell you, don't turn your nose up too high to the slednecks, try sticking out your thumb instead.

Hot lapping 4,000 foot runs with a 5 minute snomo-shuttle sounds just fine to me.

so how do you handle the logistics? if there's two of you and both want to ski, then only one gets to ski on every run...?

I've snomo-accessed the Easton glacier.

Let me tell you, don't turn your nose up too high to the slednecks, try sticking out your thumb instead.

Hot lapping 4,000 foot runs with a 5 minute snomo-shuttle sounds just fine to me.

so how do you handle the logistics? if there's two of you and both want to ski, then only one gets to ski on every run...?

It's not hard to get pissed off at snowmachines. The noise. The stink. The ease with which they log thousands of vertical feet with nary a forced exhalation.

But when you're punching 8 miles of deep trail up a logging road to get in somewhere, and a herd of these puppies wiz by, leaving a perfectly groomed carpet in their wake, you'll sing their praises.