Dog pack for hiking

rmncwrtr

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pup has a Ruff Wear pack, it's great. Just big enough for a water bottle in one side and some food in the other... The only thing to watch for is you have to try and make sure the sides are equally weighted, otherwise it shifts, which I would think is uncomfortable to carry!

Woof,

For what it's worth, here are some things we learned taking our dogs backpacking:

Limit what the dog's carry to about 20% of their body weight. This usually means a medium sized (40 lb) adult dog can carry all his/her stuff and a little bit of yours, too.

Inspect the dog for chaffing often. Apply body lube if necessary, or tape a fleece/polartec material around any offending packstraps.

Some dog packs have handles like suitcases over the shoulders. Not required, but handy for carrying dogs over streams/obstructions or if the dog is injured, over rough spots.

Stuff to take: 1st aid kit (joint wrap and body lube important), one or more booties for cut paw pads, collapsable dog bowl, water bottle, food, higher energy treats, sleeping pad+airline blanket (overnight), mosquito repellent (they drive dogs crazy too), leash, bone, poo bags.

Your dog may act weird when you first put the pack on. It might take a couple of days for the dog to figure out how not to run into things, get over logs, streams, etc, but they learn fast.

Some packs slide forward when going downhill on some dogs. Not a big deal, but something to watch for and help the dog with.

We got cheapo Outdoor Products packs. Barebones, but they worked fine, and proved to be durable.

At first opportunity, the dog will jump into the water with the pack on. Don't put anything in the pack that won't handle a dunking.

Have fun!

Lucky dog! :moondance:

I'm basically reiterating what's been stated up thread, but here's my .o2:

We use the Ruffwear harnesses for our three and have found that the "assistance handle" is invaluable. Helps you guide or stabilize them over all sorts of uneven terrain and obstacles(like fallen logs, steep trail sections, boulders etc). Might not be much of an issue now while Puppy is limber and spry, but as age runs its course you'll find that you are "assisting" them more and more. Even now, though, if you're all at nervous about somthing they're about to "send", you can always grab the handle and give 'em a safe "belay." ;)

Have fun out there! :wave:

The Outdoor Products pack I bought for my Golden was a piece of crap--perhaps the QC has improved over the years but it broke three times on various outings before I simple tossed it. The critical moment came in a stream crossing when the water pulled a strap through the seam and the pack went cruising downstream--with the tent fly in it! Secondary lesson learned: don't put critical items in dog pack.

Get a Ruff Wear pack--as others have stated the handle is pretty nice and the harness system much more comfy and stable for the pooch. The one we have is extra nice in that the pack attaches separately to the harness so you can remove the pack at breaks but the harness stays on. You can often find these packs (and the collapsable bowls that Tvash mentions) on sierratradingpost.com for cheap.

Finally, the first time the Golden wore a pack for a backpacking trip it was adjusted incorrectly (it was the cheapo OP pack) and it through off his gait enough to cause him problems with cramping the next morning. Scared the hell out of me because he couldnt stand up. He was fine after he got his blood flowing but for about half an hour I was pretty freaked out.

The red heeler I have now is so geriatric (the Golden passed away a few years ago) that he has a hard enough time keeping up without a pack so I carry his stuff for him.

Thanks Sherri (we must have posted right at the same time cause I never saw yours!) and rbw1966! Appreciate it. :kisss: I'll check out the pack you mentioned.

Nice to know about the handles. She's about 50 pounds so if worse, came to worse, I could carry her.

We're walking distance to a trail around a lake so I plan to let Chaos wear it on our walks to get used to it and help me make sure I get it on her correctly!

Thanks again!

Yeah, her name is Chaos. She's two so used to the name. We may be getting her on Sunday! Her stitches from being spayed are out so she's good to go. My three kids have no idea. They met her when we went out to the rescue coordinators house, but we never told them that we actually got her. This is going to be so much fun!

That's funny about Lockjaw! I can hear me now. "No, Chaos." "Stop, Chaos."

Edited by rmncwrtr