War with Iran office pool

billcoe

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....... and you attack the pool before the bikini-clad hotties have adjourned to the women's locker room, don't you risk interrupting their post-swim poolside frolic and, even worse, any chance you may have had to witness lesbean debauchery?

Sad to say that we were talking Iran here, and the religious thought police do not allow much.

Here's a Burkini for your nighttime fantasy's though:

burqini.jpg

....... and you attack the pool before the bikini-clad hotties have adjourned to the women's locker room, don't you risk interrupting their post-swim poolside frolic and, even worse, any chance you may have had to witness lesbean debauchery?

Sad to say that we were talking Iran here, and the religious thought police do not allow much.

Here's a Burkini for your nighttime fantasy's though:

burqini.jpg

No need to fantasize, Bill...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002389078_muslimswim.html

I sometimes think back to my college days, where my Poli-Sci prof would hold class in Sams Hoffbrau on ocasion when he was thirsty and not in the classroom and quaff 3 or 4 frothy pints much to the wide-eyed wonderment of the many Arabs in the class, who refused to partake.

I'll be sitting watching the gorgeous half naked dancers at a pro ball game and reflect on our deep cultural differences where if a woman did that back in their country, she would be brutalized by the system. Stoned, whipped and/or jailed as well.

Does anyone here think that the Iranians, if they had a nuclear device, would NOT use it on Israel? Sometimes I wonder if the crap we think is not widely influenced by political PR flak to the Newspapers. Then I think of folks I've known who have lived in various Middle east countries and think that having, or allowing, a nuclear Iran would be a catastrophe in short order. Had the British or the French offed Hitler before the Czechoslovakia or Polish invasion....what would have been? What path would the world have taken, and how different it would be now. Is that what we are staring at right now?

one of my closest climbing friends is an iranian and very patriotic and thinks his country's regime is idiotic - i don't think he'd nuke israel - regardless, we can't uninvent nukes and saying "you must be this tall to ride the ride" to grown-ups seems self-evidently retarded - iran must understand that, should it nuke israel, it will follow the round-heads into oblivion about 20 seconds later - inshahallah, this will not happen and we can keep on keeping on until global warming or space monkeys finally do us in :)

Always seemed to like the greater risk was in the "asymetric" strikes in which it's impossible to follow a parabolic ICBM path back to the source.

If any nation with nuclear capabilities was hit in this fashion, would the response be to annihilate the most likely suspect? I'm not so sure. I'm even less sure that it's possible to formulate a credible deterrent to this kind of attack. You can announce in advance that Tehran will be held accountable for any nuclear attack on a particular country, and your intention to vaporize every major population center in the country according to a pre-set schedule should such an attack occur, but I have to think that anyone contemplating such an attack would be more than willing to call our bluff.

I think that the probability of Iran either directly or indirectly engaging in a non-ICBM attack is extremely low, and in the case of Iran I suspect that the regime is most likely seeking to insulate itself from external pressure in much the same way that North Korea has, and seeking to gain a bit of legitimacy by appealing to national pride. Since neither the US, nor our erstwhile allies, nor any conceivable combination the same has either the will or the capacity to prevent the Iranians from acquiring the bomb, nor any effective deterrent to an unconventional attack - hopefully they'll never have the desire to use or allow the use of a nuclear weapon in this manner.

Were the U.S. to hit Iran bases with air strikes, would that hazard a full-scale land invasion by them of Iraq?

i doubt it, assumign they're rational, as the one kind of war we're actually damn good at is force on force, in the open, symetric warfare. the norm in international relations is tit for tat - if we bomb then, we can certainly expect missile/air strikes on us, possible terrorist style attacks, and increased support for attacks on us targets in iraq. they're not stupid, and realize they can hurt us much more w/ the later than w/ the former.

You can announce in advance that Tehran will be held accountable for any nuclear attack on a particular country, and your intention to vaporize every major population center in the country according to a pre-set schedule should such an attack occur, but I have to think that anyone contemplating such an attack would be more than willing to call our bluff.

Nuke Mecca.

• 2 weeks later...

Not an escalation link

" MEXICO CITY - Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Tuesday that sending a second U.S. aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf could serve as a "reminder" to Iran, but he said it's not an escalation of force.

Speaking to reporters after meeting with Mexican leaders, Gates said heightening U.S. criticism of Iran and its support for terror groups is not a signal that the administration is laying the groundwork for a strike against Tehran......"

That's "not a signal that the administration is laying the groundwork for a strike against Tehran".

Repeat that: NOT.

"In recent weeks, U.S. officials have ratcheted up their complaints that Iran is increasing its efforts to supply weapons and training to militants in Iraq.

Military commanders in Baghdad are expected to roll out evidence of that support soon — including date stamps on newly found weapons caches showing that recently made Iranian weapons are flowing into Iraq at a steadily increasing rate.

Another senior military official said the evidence will include mortars, rockets, small arms, roadside bombs and armor-piercing explosives — known as explosively formed penetrators or EFPs — that troops have discovered in caches in recent months. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the evidence has not yet been made public, said that dates on some of the weapons were well after Tehran signaled late last year that it was scaling back aid to insurgents."

No one seems to be aware of this and it has not hit the news yet, but there are reportedly 5 British military prisoners who had been captured in Iraq who were recently transfered to Iran and are currently held in captivity in that country.

...and the plot thickens.....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is a bad translation, although it was said 3 different ways.

Not a justification link

Full text

"Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that the state of Israel is a "stinking corpse" that is destined to disappear, the French news agency AFP reported. "Those who think they can revive the stinking corpse of the usurping and fake Israeli regime by throwing a birthday party are seriously mistaken," the official IRNA news agency quoted Ahmadinejad as having said. "Today the reason for the Zionist regime's existence is questioned, and this regime is on its way to annihilation."

Ahmadinejad further stated that Israel "has reached the end like a dead rat after being slapped by the Lebanese" - referring to the Second Lebanon War in the summer of 2006."

• 1 month later...

The "stinking corpse" finally responds:

" Shaul Mofaz, a former Israeli defense minister who is now a deputy prime minister, warned in a recent interview with the Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot that Israel might have no choice but to attack. "If Iran continues with its program for developing nuclear weapons, we will attack," Mofaz said in the interview published on June 6, the day after the unpublicized exercise ended. "Attacking Iran, in order to stop its nuclear plans, will be unavoidable."

Iran is also taking steps to better defend its nuclear facilities. Two sets of advance Russian-made radar systems were recently delivered to Iran. The radar will enhance Iran's ability to detect planes flying at low altitude."

"Mike McConnell, the director of national intelligence, said in February that Iran was close to acquiring Russian-produced SA-20 surface-to-air missiles. American military officials said that the deployment of such systems would hamper Israel's attack planning, putting pressure on Israel to act before the missiles are fielded."

That may put pressure on my Oct date prediction. Note that Israel had recently entered into secret diplomatic discussions with their implacable enemy Syria...hmmmm, it appears to me that they are trying to negotiate a quiet settlement on that front so that an attack on Iran will not spread to other quarters.

Full text link

Israel. Every right to. :tup:

If Isreal attacks Iran we will see 7 dollar gas by the end of the summer!

:) so much for climbing past I-90 corridor. I guess the only benefit is sound tranist will pass expanded light rail

It's a very convoluted game that the players are playing. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Israelis are playing both Sunnis and Shiites. I think Israel definitely is a top contender for 'shrewdest country in the world' and what they might lack is made up for by solid capability in armaments.

So it seems a nuclear Iran would nullify Israel's nuclear first strike capability. Although I'm a little puzzled by the lack of reaction after Pakistan's declared nuclear status. There has to be more to this than just Muslim vs Jewish. Saudi Arabia seems to gain geopolitically with a weakened Iran.

What's worrying is if something happens by our hand or Israel's then the potential economic repercussions could be huge.

Israel. Every right to. :tup:

If Isreal attacks Iran we will see 7 dollar gas by the end of the summer!

:) so much for climbing past I-90 corridor. I guess the only benefit is sound tranist will pass expanded light rail

What do you think a gallon of gas will cost if Iran has the geopolitical clout that demonstrated possession of nuclear weapons will bring?

I predict joint US/ Israel air strikes targeting first their AA missle defense networks and then a volley of cruise missles on the nuke facilities sooner rather than later. Coinciding with a no moon night or solar flare activity(if any) to take advantge of radio blackouts, geomagnetic storms in daylight.

It'll be interesting to see how the latest Chinese and Russian detection/protection systems stack up on the Irainian side.

I also wonder what arms Iran has close by to Israel territory in place for their response.

"Mike McConnell, the director of national intelligence, said in February that Iran was close to acquiring Russian-produced SA-20 surface-to-air missiles. American military officials said that the deployment of such systems would hamper Israel's attack planning, putting pressure on Israel to act before the missiles are fielded."

That may put pressure on my Oct date prediction. Note that Israel had recently entered into secret diplomatic discussions with their implacable enemy Syria...hmmmm, it appears to me that they are trying to negotiate a quiet settlement on that front so that an attack on Iran will not spread to other quarters.

Bill. This is what you generally call "bullshit". McConnell is doing bullshit spin in order to try to build support for a strike. I'm trying to be calm about this. Urghek.

The Russians completed testing the SA-20's in '07 and only deployed the first SA-20 battery to a unit near Moscow in June of '07. There is usually a two to three year period between the first deployment on home soil and actual installations overseas AT A BARE MINIMUM. Off the top of my head, I think the original Patriot missile battalion went on line in something like 1982, I think they went overseas in '85 or '88 or something and the first overseas *sales* were in 2007. It's total bull that the SA-20's will magically appear in the next two years in Iran. It's also generally assumed that current Israeli (cough cough ahem) avionics totally dominate Syrian / Iranian antiaircraft defenses.

I predict a change of administration in Iran in their upcoming presidential elections and full on internecine conflict between the different conservative camps between now and the elections in '09. I predict a full peace between Syria and Israel signed by Bashar and the soon-to-go-to-jail-or-lose-his-job Olmert that doesn't get ratified by the Israeli parliament...and then a new US president.

You ever seen two pussies yelling at the top of their lungs how they are gonna kick each other's ass? How many times has that come out with a good ol' fashioned as whuppin?

Never.

The idea kids is to suprise the enemy. Whether it is a sucker punch or an airstrike, you never broadcast your intentions to a future foe.

Iran is just trying to legitimize itself and be heard like a screaming toddler.

....I predict a full peace between Syria and Israel signed by Bashar and the soon-to-go-to-jail-or-lose-his-job Olmert that doesn't get ratified by the Israeli parliament...and then a new US president.

Hey, aren't you suppose to be working? :lmao: I hope so Graham, and maybe it's like Scott says: but for Israel, the stakes are too high to let it ride. Before most widescale wars there is always a diplomatic offensive staking out the positions, that is what we are seeing here, I think, and not 2 wussies in a bar. I hope and wish I'm wrong and civilized and calmer heads prevail.

As far as the $7 a gallon gas goes, perhaps not as the admin has been working with the Saudis and everyone with a straw in the ground to increase the amount of petroleum available....one can see a link between these events if one was of a suspicious mind. Not me of course, however, these events have been war gamed for sometime, and this is one of the big factors which has undoubtedly been discussed in advanced.