Favorite Alpine Rock Routes in the Sierras

TimL

On the way down to the Valley this fall, I'm thinking about making a side trip to climb in the Sierras. So I'm trying to figure out a couple of good routes to do. I've checked the Supertopo page, but I'm looking for first hand recommendations on must do routes.

Thanks! :snugtop:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the lightning hazard in the Sierra's in the summer anything like the lightning hazard in the Colorado Rockies? Can't remember a single alpine route that I climbed when I wasn't looking over my shoulder and wondering when the bolts would start raining down - even when the sky was clear...

ditto all of the suggestions so far plus the harding route on mt. conness and the 50-crowded route on clyde minaret (not crowded).

he said "this fall". fewer t-storms late august/early september. might want to mull over the permit situation if you want to do anything in the whitney or temple crag areas.

My only experience is in Tulomne in September and I don't even remember it even raining once.

I'm actually heading to the Palisades area for a week in August. Looks to be a lot of fun. Curious if I should try to reserve backcountry permits now.

Cathedral peak is one of my favorites but it can get crounded. Lots of other peaks right in the same area that can be done in the same day. Mathes crest is another good one. Look up bear creek spire too (south of the park). Weather usually starts to take a turn some time in september. It is more often good than not but can be hit or miss that time of year. Tioga pass usually closes some time in October. Give us an idea of difficulty, length and location (Sierras are a big range) your looking for and we could probably get you a better list.

Already climbed Cathedral, Eichorn and Mathes Crest. They were amazing routes in an amazing area but they are the only thing we've every climbed in the Sierras.

What I was thinking about is to try to drive causually down the east side, can you do this from Bend, then take a side trip to climb something beautiful and classic. Maybe spend three four days somewhere that I've never been. Maybe something with a classic route (5.9/5.10) to get to know the area then something harder to pull down on. Length and difficulty are not too important. Quality is the most important.

Seems like a good way to go to Yosemite if you have time. I'm so tired of I-5.

Thanks

Edited by TimL

I have done several traverses in the Sierra. The Mounties have abook that covers the whole route quite well. The Palisad portion is a fun not difficult one that gives access to the "easy" side of the Pallisades. There are only a few chossy sections most of the way is large talus. The giant cairns are long gone. You can make a return loop on the John Muir trail for shorter loops. It is also easy to just go cross country in many places and some of the large lake basins do not have trails. Bears can be a problem on the Johhn Muir as they are much more agressive than here so canisters are required.