Lots of snow and warm weather coming- avy time?

Sanchez

Thought I'd poll the electorate on avalanche predictions for the coming warm weather this weekend. Too early to start thinking about spring slides, or supreme paranoia time?

Thinking pretty hard about that rather ominous slog on the NE face of our favorite Oregon mountain, but not excited about being exposed to 3000 feet of warming snow on the slope above me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard several reports that the east side of the mountain has been really bad for snow loading this year. I would be very carefull heading over there. Reports basically have been knee deep to almost chest deep snow, ranging from powder to wast deep sugar. One party was via steel cliffs the other was via SS and went over to check out the east side slopes.

Just keep your eyeballs open. Sunday would be the best day if you had to get out this weekend.

Not sure if WyEast is more avi prone than Leutholds but I would not want to be on either slope, that is for sure.

Looks like we are all on the same page. I might let this weekend play itself out and do something a little safer. Unfortunately what I'm afraid will happen is: sun and warm weather creates ice layer, April wet snow dump comes next week, then we have a classic recipe for slides. Oh well, it will never get perfect, I guess I should be happy we have lots of snow and a long season to look forward to.

Wx forecasts show sunny Thurs & Fri, thus might one reasonably expect adequate consolidation by Sat AM ? If something is going to slide, will things have settled out for relatively safe conditions by early Sat?

You might also consider, what with the anticipated high weekend temps, a veritable butt-load of ice fall could be seen/felt in exposed places when the sun pops up.

Wx forecasts show sunny Thurs & Fri, thus might one reasonably expect adequate consolidation by Sat AM ? If something is going to slide, will things have settled out for relatively safe conditions by early Sat?

You might also consider, what with the anticipated high weekend temps, a veritable butt-load of ice fall could be seen/felt in exposed places when the sun pops up.

I think that warm temps tomorrow AND Friday would make Saturday reasonable, but nothing is ever for certain. The warm temps and high freezing level would be something to take into account. I think an early start and something in the shade during the climb (i.e. Reid) would be worth checking out but not a guarantee. I do wonder about the descent down West Crater in the sun...

Check the NW Avalanche Center's website:

ZONE AVALANCHE FORECASTS

* MT HOOD AREA

Thursday: locally CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger above about

6000 feet on north through east facing slopes and on slopes

receiving sunshine later morning and afternoon hours;

otherwise MODERATE danger below 7000 feet

Thursday night: danger decreasing overnight becoming

MODERATE above 3 to 4000 feet and LOW below

Friday: locally HIGH avalanche danger on sun exposed slopes

late morning and afternoon hours and CONSIDERABLE danger on

north through east exposures above about 6000 feet;

otherwise increasing MODERATE danger below 7000 feet

Friday night: danger decreasing overnight becoming MODERATE

below 7000 feet

http://www.nwac.us/products/SABOR

this is a cool website for freezing levels - http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mt-Hood-Meadows/6day/mid

sounds like sunday moring would be the "best" time to go, but might still be too wet then.

definetly a positive thread - good idea to get bros thinking about possibile shiite going down.

Edited by danhelmstadter

Summitted Hood via Hogsback this morning (4/12)..

Conditions were OK during the night (we left the parking lot at 1:30AM), but a little bit warmer even than expected so postholing was a factor (for those without skis or shoes). We saw lots of folks booting it up and suffering (many turned back). We didn't hear any rumbling all day, just minor sluffs and ice pellets. Back down to the car at 10AM. What a beautiful day!

We probably ran into you.....we left the Cave at 1:00, summited around a little after 8.........it was slow going on the traverse over to old chute.....lots of ice pellets flying.....I took a dinner plate in the back; my buddy left with a scratched, bloody nose....summit ridge seemed even airier than usual......all in all a good time had by all. That pitcher of IPA sure tasted good afterwards.