public staircase?

godskid5

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there are any public staircases (either in buildings, or parks, etc...) in the vancouver, wa. area?

Bank of America building is one of if not the tallest building in PDX and you can run the stairs. I know of a few fire fighters that will run them a few times a month.

Mt Tabor (park in PDX) has stairs that are very popular with the runners.

Or you could just do as many burpees as you can in 30 minutes in the comfort of your own living room.... no stairs required.

Nope, but don't try to poach 'em!

I was doing stairs in my Las Vegas hotel for about 12 minutes before security flushed me out.

Dang cameras are everywhere...

The bridges, max stops, and some busy roads in portland have some pedestrian stairs to either walk along the road or cross it. Maybe the couve has 'em as well.

John, where exactly is the B of A building/stairs? I'm not aware of that one. Are you thinking US Bank or Wells Fargo?

If I'm running along Terwilliger, below the Veteran's hospital, the stairs that go up to the parking lot up there are a nice diversion. Doing them several times before you continue south, is even better.

But I'll take the trails/hills/firelanes in Forest Park for a good workout before hitting the streets, any day.

John, where exactly is the B of A building/stairs? I'm not aware of that one. Are you thinking US Bank or Wells Fargo?

Sorry... wrong financial institution... US Bank.

If we are expanding this list to outside then yeah... lots of inclined options on the west side of the river or out in the gorge.

There is actually an annual race up the stairs of the Wells Fargo Tower (some fund raiser). I have run the stairs in my building downtown but the ventilation sucks (as it does in normal conditions in the Wells Fargo Tower). Frankly, I think running stairs indoors in tall buildings can be counter-productive because of the air quality.

Outside, there is a series of stairs leading from NW Burnside up into the Rose Garden that kicks ass. Not as long as the stairs in Mt Tabor but closer if you are downtown and on the westside. Once in the Rose Gardens you have your choice of trails going everywhere.

There are some stairs on the steep trail going from Johns Landing to Terwilliger. Hopefully they managed to get that backhoe out of there by now.

Lots of stuff in PDX. I've been searching for local stairs in the Couve too. Kiggens bowl is locked unless you hit it during practice. I've jumped the fence in past, but I'm wondering if they don't have an IR alarm there now like many other high schools have. A lot of the other schools that are open to public are just cheap-assed aluminum bleachers. Columbia River High? Is that open to walk in? 99th Street right? If you're intersted there's a nice loop you can jog that includes dirt trail and takes you up a few good hills near the Ross Complex and some switchbacks on Ellen Davis trail.

P.S.:Tried Columbia River High but hit them during a sports event. Double checked Kiggen's and it's locked up tight. I ended up at Hudson's Bay High. There are some shorter concrete bleachers (about 12 steps) and they’re open to the public. One lap to the end and back gets you about 20 reps (10 up - 10 down).

Edited by Mikester

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just checked out McKenzie Field - that place is locked up REAL tight, barbed wire and everything! There's also a sign that specifically says "No Backpacks" amongst other things, like large purses, etc. Oh well...it looked very promising...

Thanks for the beta on the high school stadiums. Have you looked at the McKenzie Field stadium? Off of NE 138th? I wonder if this is locked up tight too...
looking at McKenzie this week. I'm planning on stairs or Forest Park this Saturday afternoon so I'll no more Sunday.

P.S. I heard there was a 100+ step outdoor stair case somwhere below Forest Park. More to come...