Attitudes and Platitudes

willstrickland

So I'm out running yesterday and the whole time this mantra is running through my head:

"If you're not training, someone else is"

Anybody else have these stupid little trite remarks that help you train? When I used to train for the spring sports season in the middle of winter it was:

"Get your ass kicked now or get it kicked later"

These are usually the things that get me off the couch, when I'm actually training I try not to think at all.

I'm sure Dwayner has a few:

"Mickey's big mouths now and a just plain big mouth later!"

"I'm the captain of my own ship, cause Capt Morgan is long gone!"

Damn I'm bored...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually find the whole concept of "training" a bit fucked. I'd rather DO than TRAIN. Sure I try to stay in shape but I do it by climbing and mountaineering not working out or running. I just don't have the mental stamina to do something as boring and repetitive as pump iron or run just to run. Sure I'll ride my bike to work, chop wood for a few hours, or slog through the bush with a sixty pound pack, but at least there i'm accomplishing something besides training. more power to those that do but i can't see how you can force yourself to do it.*

*Of course, I reached my peak of fitness when i was working in a climbing gym, bouldered for 2 hours after work every day while changing problems, and walked the 15kms to and from work. my only excuse is that i was too poor to take the bus then!

I just tell myself the beer will taste better after I train hard. Of course if I'm drinking beer while I'm training it tastes pretty good too smile.gif

Dru, how do you define something like bouldering or trail running that's fun in itself but is also training for climbing. Cragging is doing something, but to me its also training for long alpine climbs.

[This message has been edited by specialed (edited 07-11-2001).]

Another Neitzsche quote, courtesy FB:

"Be the hammer or the anvil"

I'm with Dru on training. My only "training" consists of bicycling to work (23 mi rt.) I'm sure I'd feel less sore after exploits like Adams Glacier if I did some running too, but I just can't, it's just too bloody tedious, even with a Walkman.

I guess bouldering (I don't trail run) is training fitness for alpine, but I also find it a fun activity in itself, and I have a tick list of boulder problems I want to do, actually, given the undeveloped nature of the area I mainly boulder at now, most of them are FIRST ASCENTS!!!. So when I'm bouldering, I'm focussing on the activity itself, not on how it will make me a better alpine climber.... pumping iron, I would be doing it to get stronger for climbing, not because I wanted to bench 400lbs or look like THOR or whatever. The training aspect of my training is incidental to the activity, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 07-11-2001).]

>I actually find the whole concept of

>"training" a bit fucked. I'd rather DO than

>TRAIN. Sure I try to stay in shape but I do

>it by climbing and mountaineering not

>working out or running.

Lucky you if you can get out climbing and mountaineering enough to get fit from that alone. For those of us limited to weekend trips, some sort of training during the week can be very helpful. Hell, I actually enjoy and look forward to it.

SMB

quote:

Originally posted by smb:

>I actually find the whole concept of

>"training" a bit fucked. I'd rather DO than

>TRAIN. Sure I try to stay in shape but I do

>it by climbing and mountaineering not

>working out or running.

Lucky you if you can get out climbing and mountaineering enough to get fit from that alone. For those of us limited to weekend trips, some sort of training during the week can be very helpful. Hell, I actually enjoy and look forward to it.

SMB

I only get out climbing and mountaineering on weekends though! (And evenings, and during working hours while supposedly working doing site visits, I do work at places otherthan a keyboard sometimes wink.gif )

Ive always been pretty fast off the couch I guess, after not climbing rock for 3-4 months it takes me 2 days to get back to leading mid 5.10's, which is usually my onsight level anyways, and i'm mostly too lazy to work harder stuff, so it's my regular climbing level too.... likewise it takes about 2 weekends of mountaineering to get in shape for a weekend of 16 hour days on technical ground...

I genereally get enough motivation knowing if I don't train hard enough and fail on a climb because of it, it will suck! I don't get a chance to climb often so it stings for a while if I wimp out on a climb.

Another good motivator is to go running in a neigborhood where there are lots of dogs or trail running in a grizly area covered with bbq sauce. rolleyes.gif

When I get bored I'd rather be working out some way be it running, swimming, biking, climbing,...there are lots more options. Sure I'd rather be able to climb every day but that just isn't the case. So when I'm at home and I'm bored like last night I'll just go for a run or a swim and I'm chillin after that. Working out doesn't have to be training in and of itself...for me its to get out and do something other than surfin' the tube.

is there anybody else out there who doesn't care for bouldering? I mean, I do it, but as a last resort... usually if I can't find a partner, I'll solo some long easy climb, or jump on the bike and ride hills. Used to run, but found strength training to be more useful for mountaineering - so now I'm in a weight room 2-3 times a week. Yeah, I know it's a poor substitute, but it's the only way I can keep enough meat on me to feel good at altitude - I'm one of those guys who loses weight lying around.

as for training mantras, I don't have one, but I'm constantly thinking about wanting/needing and "altitude adjustment"...

quote:

Originally posted by haireball:

Used to run, but found strength training to be more useful for mountaineering - so now I'm in a weight room 2-3 times a week. Yeah, I know it's a poor substitute, but it's the only way I can keep enough meat on me to feel good at altitude - I'm one of those guys who loses weight lying around.

as for training mantras, I don't have one, but I'm constantly thinking about wanting/needing and "altitude adjustment"...
[/b]

I find running intervals on hills the best way to train for mountaineering. A few weeks of doing 5 3 minute all-out sprints uphill with 3 minutes rest in between -twice a week if I'm climbing on weekends or three times if not- whips me into shape fast like nothing else. And I do weights of course, but I've never been able to figure out if it helps or not.

SMB

The thing about being a gym employee is, after i quit that job, (3 years ago) I haven't felt the desire to climb in a gym at all. Have only been in one twice in the 3 yrs. since then.

Just like after working at Rotten Ronny's for a month or two as a teenager, I lost all desire to eat fast food. McGym=McClimbing.

Yeah, I like setting routes way more than climbing in the gym. Its good training too, good for the abs...

Most of all I like being around new climbers. Its cool to see their energy. They are phsched on the sport and its all new to them. It brings me back to the good old days...

I feel a sense of gratification when I can teach someone about climbing, hopefully so they can avoid deadly mistakes. It makes me realize how lucky I am.

People spray about newbies all the time, but they inspire me. Especially the young ones. The ones who suck are the ones who don't give climbing the respect it deserves.

Lambone -

I agree, it's great to see the "newbies" out climbing - and especially out trying something a little more adventurous. They can get in the way some times, and I even had to rescue someone this weekend, but the enthusiasm is great and I'm frequently reminded that sometimes I lose track of the fun and exploration of it all in the desire to accomplish or perform. I'm always ready to try and offer whatever encouragement and advice I can, though the old guy with the helmet on is not necessarily the one they want to listen to and I'm sure my "helpful advice" may at times sound like some lame platitude or perhaps even a condescending put down.

mattp

Working in the climbing gym, I got SOOOO sick of childrens' climbing birthday parties and gym classes where there would be 2 keeners out of a group of 30 and the others would be little fat sacks of shit who didn't want to exercise because it would make them get sweaty. they would do half of one 5.6 and then drink 10 gallons of Powerade..... also stupid kids who would run under boulderers after being told not to.

Dru,

I hear that!!!!!!!

But everyonce in a while a little natural born cranker comes in for the first time and I can see the exitement in their eyes. It makes me want to take them up into the hills. I guess I am looking forward to having a kid of my own for that reason.