Bulo Point Access

bobinc

I am forwarding info sent to me by an associate in Hood River who has received word the USFS is considering road closures that would affect Bulo Point access.

This area is very scenic and has a collection of shorter routes. I first went there back in the late 70s before it was developed; now there are perhaps 20-25 routes with perhaps 1/2 being bolted face climbs.

Here is the fowarded message:

Attention all you climbers -

I have just recieved information regarding proposed watershed restoration on the Mt. Hood Forest. This will involve decommissioning some roads. Included on the list of proposed roads to decommission is the 2730-240 road - this is the main access road to Bulo Point. Bulo Point is a valuable resource for local climbers as well as a very popular summer crag with Portlanders. While it is possible to hike down to the crag from the 2730 road it would be much more desirable for climbers to be able to continue using the road 240 for access. The Forest Service is now seeking public input on this proposal. Comments may pertain to the nature and scope of the environmental, social, and economic issues, and possible alternatives to the proposed action. Electronic maps are available online at: www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood/projects . The relevant map is the 'Headwaters 15Mile Creek' map.

Based on my familiarity with the area, I am going to suggest the following:

1- Keep the north end of the 2730-240 road open to the crag.

2-Decommission the southern half of the road. This would protect a spring area located next to this road.

3- Create a turn-around with some parking near the crag. In the future there could also be a bathroom located here.

4- Improve the north end with re-grading and new gravel.

Please send written comments before April 21 to:

Michelle Lombardo

Mt. Hood National Forest, Aquatic Restoration Team Leader

16400 Champion Way

Sandy, OR 97055

FAX: (503)668-1413

E-Mail: comments-pacificnorthwest-mthood@fs.fed.us

Questions:

Michelle Lombardo (503)668-1796 or www.mlombardo@fs.fed.us

Public input is very important to this process!!! Please forward this to your climbing friends!

Thanks for your help.

Kay Kucera

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kay-

Thanks for posting this here. I know Jason Keith ( Policy Director at the AF) emailed Tony Holmes and copied me. He asked Tony about putting an "Action Alert" to get the word out.

I will gladly write a letter. Hopefully you and Tony can coordinate. Let me know if you need any more help.

Kellie

I say close the road and restore the watershed. Access is not threatened here.

The existing road (2730) to 15 mile camp, located 1/4 of a mile above Bulo Point would provide alternative access. Let's work with land managers and advise that a trail be placed between road 2730 and the crag (and perhaps a toilet at the parking area). The added 20 min. walk would not prevent anyone access and only benefit the scenic remote crag.

I agree with basa. Over the past couple years it seems as if more and more traffic has been finding its way to 240. While it certainly might be more desirable to continue using this, like basa said, we should restore the watershed and just use 2730 with a new trail linking it to the crag. One bonus of this would be fewer (i.e. zero) large families/groups camped at the top of the crag leaving broken glass, trash, and food remnants.

• 6 months later...

Hi all you fellow climbers -

Public input is needed (once again) on a road decommissioning project on Mt. Hood. Briefly, some roads will be decommissioned to enhance aquatic restoration. The main access road to Bulo Point involved in this project. Even if you have never climbed there and never will, it is important to maintain access to this east side crag! This is a family-friendly, entry level crag. Please take the time to send in your comments IN FAVOR of OPTION 3. This option would leave the 2730240 road open from the north (from Highway 44) to the crag and include a turn around with parking. The road would be converted to a trail from the crag south. For the full story, go to the Forest website at www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood in the Projects and Plans section. Click on 'Preliminary Assessment'. Of particular interest are pages 11 (significant issues - they listened to us!) and page 17 (Alternative 3).

Comments should be addressed to Michelle Lombardo.

Snail mail: 16400 Champion Way, Sandy, OR 97055.

Or e-mail: comments-pacificnorthwest-mthood@fs.fed.us

Comments are due by November 17.

Michelle Lombardo

16400 Champion Way

Sandy, OR 97055

Michelle-

I am commenting on the road decommissioning for aquatic restoration. Thank you for considering the needs of the rock climbing community when the preliminary assessment was developed. I strongly support Alternative 3 which will allow continued access to Bulo Point from the north on the 2730240 road. Continued ease of access to this family – friendly climbing area, additional parking, and access in case of emergency are important to the local climbers. The conversion of the southern half of 2730240 to trail is an additional benefit to both snowmobilers and mountain bikers.

Thank you for including us in the development of these alternatives.

• 2 months later...

It looks as if Option 3 was agreed upon. So access will still be available from the north to Bulo. Thanks to Leslie in 'da Couv, and Kay in Hood River, for being involved in the discussions.

This option would leave the 2730240 road open from the north (from Highway 44) to the crag and include a turn around with parking. The road would be converted to a trail from the crag south. For the full story, go to the Forest website at www.fs.fed.us/r6/mthood in the Projects and Plans section.

And thanks to Tony Homes, the regional access fund rep who attended the climber/USFS meeting last summer. It was Tony's offer of $$ from the Access Fund towards parking and a bathroom that tipped the decision to keeping the road open.

Kay and I will continue to work with the USFS, and Tony/Access Fund to get the parking/bathrooms established.

Paul C.

And thanks to Tony Homes, the regional access fund rep who attended the climber/USFS meeting last summer. It was Tony's offer of $$ from the Access Fund towards parking and a bathroom that tipped the decision to keeping the road open.

Kay and I will continue to work with the USFS, and Tony/Access Fund to get the parking/bathrooms established.

Paul C.

Awesome this is really good news! Thanks all!