trad climbing course - April 12/13 - Squamish, BC

Jud

Hi,

I'm looking for one or two people who might be interested in taking a 2-day "learn to trad lead" course with Squamish Rock Guides next weekend, April 12/13, in Squamish, BC.

I really want to take the course, however, SRG requires a minimum of 3 people to run it (max. of 4 people). Presently, there is only one person --me-- but there might be one more, my gym climbing partner.

Full info/details on the course are here: http://www.squamishrockguides.com/trad2.htm

Don't delay...learn to trad lead now so that you can get a jump on the summer! :o (Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with SRG...I just want to take the course, so am looking for others who also might want to also so that the course will be run. If interested, you should register ASAP so that SRG can line up a guide/instructors ASAP for next weekend...)

Cheers,

Jud

judson.berry@sauder.ubc.ca or 604-783-7483 in case anyone has any questions for me...but I'm just an interested climber who wants to learn trad.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jud,

Great idea to post-up for folks as a way to fill out the course quota. :tup:

I took a couple of those courses a year or so ago with SRG and they were a great resource. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting to build some solid skills in a safe, instructional environment.

I know someone else who is wanting to do that course(trad lead), but I suspect the weather forecast will be a deal-killer for considering doing it this weekend.

If you end up postponing, let us know the next one you are shooting for and I'll pass along the info to her.

Good luck! :wave:

Hey Jud,

Great idea to post-up for folks as a way to fill out the course quota. :tup:

I took a couple of those courses a year or so ago with SRG and they were a great resource. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting to build some solid skills in a safe, instructional environment.

I know someone else who is wanting to do that course (trad lead), but I suspect the weather forecast will be a deal-killer for considering doing it this weekend.

If you end up postponing, let us know the next one you are shooting for and I'll pass along the info to her.

Good luck! :wave:

Thanks, Sherri...Good point: I hadn't considered that the unstable weather this time of year might be a "deal breaker" for some people --but it looks like SRG has a good/fair course cancellation policy if the weather craps out (cancellation policy here, bottom of the page: http://www.squamishrockguides.com/register.htm) Anyway, there are plenty of dry/overhanging places in Squamish where guides teach if it's only light rain...no biggie (I had the same experience last summer for an alpine/mountaineering course, part of which was in Squamish.) Weather is weather...esp. in the mountains. The guide/instructor for that was Paul McSorley, who also teaches with SRG...he is, quite simply, a fantastic and generous teacher and very nice guy. I'd climb with him any day, anywhere (if he'd climb with me :eek: ) So, yeah, me too: good experience with SRG.

Anyway, as far as I know the course is still open, so we'll see. I've sent out some emails to folks I know too...so if the weather looks good, it seems like it might go ahead. But I'll keep the board posted...I've got a bunch of rock and alpine climbs on my "to do" agenda this spring/summer/fall...so now seems like the time to start getting some trad/multipitch skills under my belt!

Jud

Hey Jud,

Glad it sounds like all systems are still "go" for your course! :tup:

As for the rain, you're right, you've just got to go with flow up there. The guides know how to make the most of what Mother Nature throws at them. I think it rained during both of my courses, and those were in mid-summer. We spent a lot of time plugging gear into the cracks under Zombie roof.

Have fun and think sun. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Jud,

Glad it sounds like all systems are still "go" for your course! :tup:

As for the rain, you're right, you've just got to go with flow up there. The guides know how to make the most of what Mother Nature throws at them. I think it rained during both of my courses, and those were in mid-summer. We spent a lot of time plugging gear into the cracks under Zombie roof.

Have fun and think sun. :cool:

The original forecast, a week before, was for 2*C and clouds/periods of snow...in the event, that day, it was around 20*C (70's F). Fantastic weather. I'd have been fine with hail and snow, since it would've simulated being in the alpine, but sun was sure nice... :cool: Yeah, I spent part of last June under the Zombie Roof...nice place to learn in the rain. But we got a chance to actually climb which was sweet!

I knew the guide/instructor, which made it really nice...great guy and teacher.