Date: 4/3/2008

Trip Report:

Route 1: Col du Plan

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

looking up the Glacier de Lescheaux: IMG_2362.JPG

On the Mer de Glace:

IMG_2365.JPG

Here's a picture I had to throw in. It was taken at 4:30 in the morning at a gas station en route to pick up Sky from the Geneva train station. Just a wee bit different than the kind of pre-dawn pit stops that we get here in washington (I still love Washington):

IMG_2383.JPG

Route 2: Aiguille d'Argentiere

Last Friday, Sky, David, Drew and I set out to ski the Barbey Couloir off the Aig. d'Argentiere. We decided not to use any lifts, something almost sacrilegious in a place like Chamonix. It was a day of pure alpine bliss.

We had a beautiful, long (approx 10000') approach route. We took the Glacier du Milieu, the one second from the left, between the the rock arms

IMG_2470.JPG

We had great weather and views:

IMG_2425.JPG

We got to climb some rock:

Climbing_Aig_Argentiere1.jpg

And we had nice exposure:

IMG_2445.JPG

Somewhere along the way the following was heard:

"that's not icy- that's f***ing ice. I'm heading over there...."

By the time we got to the top, 11 hours after we started,a storm had blown in and persuaded us to abandon skiing the Barbey. So in generally good snow we headed back down the way we came up.

Sky shows how to get it done:

Sky_on_Argentiere.jpg

Route 3: NE Face of the Courtes

IMG_2569.JPG

On saturday the four of us set out for the refuge d'Argentiere. The forecast called for good morning weather on Sunday with storms approaching in the afternoon. We thought an early morning start from a refuge would be a good idea. On the way to the refuge we almost lost Sky when he got carried away by the good snow and skied into a crevasse:

IMG_2479.JPG

Then I almost had to bail when my binding broke just before reaching the hut. Luckily for me Fred, the guardian of the hut, was super nice and let me take the fritschis from his skis and mount them onto my own. After that the good times rolled:

Refuge_party.jpg

IMG_25071.JPG

here's Dave trying not to fall off the mountain:

IMG_25121.JPG

somewhere around here the following was heard: "I wouldn't mind having a second tool for this...."

Summit_ridge_Courtes.jpg

IMG_25281.JPG

IMG_25511.JPG

Route 4: Couloir OUEST du Chardonnet

IMG_2461.JPG

Having had a full four days, Sky and I were ready to have a rest day on Monday before hitting something moderate in the Aiguilles Rouges on Tuesday when we saw that the forecast called for good weather. So after bidding "au revoir" to Drew and Dave Monday morning, Sky and I left once more for the refuge d'Argentiere monday night.

With new supplies of course:

IMG_2579.JPG

When the alarm went off at 4, I asked Sky whether he'd managed to sleep. He said he hadn't because he was too stoked. We'd had 4 inches of fresh snow that had fallen in warm temps, followed by clearing and cold. Perfect for where we were headed. "How about you," he asked. I said I hadn't slept much either because I was so friggin' scared. To which Sky replied: "we just interpret our biochemistry differently." As I wrapped my mind around that pearl we heading out the door in below freezing temps and clear skies.

IMG_2583.JPG

Daybreak on the Verte:

IMG_2588.JPG

Sky at the Col Adams Reiley:

IMG_2594.JPG

About 250m from the summit we encountered what the guide book describes as a delicate traverse which leads to the summit couloir. The traverse was super exposed and on uncertain snow. Sky tried to put steps in but had difficulty establishing anything with confidence.

IMG_2604.JPG

After about 10 minutes, I told Sky I didn't want to continue. He agreed. So we sat down for lunch and enjoyed the scenery before heading down.

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

The green dot is col Adams Reiley; the red dot was our high point:

Chardonnet_route.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic