Drinking and Climbing

rbw1966

Sort of.

Man scaling fence strangles in straps of beer-filled backpack

Posted by Associated Press April 03, 2008 08:00AM

Categories: Breaking News

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Authorities say a transient climbing over a chain link fence in Vancouver choked to death when he got tangled in the straps of his beer-filled backpack.

Police say 51-year-old James Francis Henry had been drinking beer Tuesday night while walking with his girlfriend, 38-year-old Kelli Jo Barkley. They were returning to their homeless encampment from their roadside panhandling site.

Barkley says he fell while trying to scale a 6-foot chain link fence, got his neck caught in the chest strap of his backpack and said, "Help me! Help me!"

By the time she got a nearby resident to call 911 and emergency crews arrived, Henry was unconscious and could not be revived.

Police said his backpack contained about a dozen 40-ounce bottles of beer.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/04/man_scaling_fence_strangles_in.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is 30 lbs of liquid weight, plus about 10 lbs of glass, plus 5 lbs in change from panhandling = 45 lbs

45 lbs in a school backpack, while drunk (most likely) while trying to hop a fence sounds difficult. no wonder he hung himself.

I dunno. A member of my extended family lives on the streets. She doesn't make nearly that much. If she did, she probably wouldn't have had to give up her babies.

But maybe she just picked the wrong location.

kinda hard to live on the street with babies, eh.

I always pack MY beer in my friends pack to avoid these kinds of hazards... :cool:
I managed to pull that one off one time with an 18 pack in my buddies pack. He had no idea till we got to camp. My pack was still about 2.5 times the weight of his since I had all the gear, he just had a pack with a little food and MY beer. :brew:

I dunno. A member of my extended family lives on the streets. She doesn't make nearly that much. If she did, she probably wouldn't have had to give up her babies.

But maybe she just picked the wrong location.

kinda hard to live on the street with babies, eh.

They make good pillows