ski width

Knowsam

Looking at doing some coast mountain sking (around Van, say Pemberton through to Coqui), I'll be comming from Calgary. What waist width are skiers around there using under foot on their "quiver of one" skis? I'm 6"1 and 190lbs and a novice/intermidiate skier. I'm curious about your most versitile ski but I'd generally only go when conditions are decent.

Thanks

Sean

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends who you ask....

- The Whistler bro/brah crowd will insist that you need 100mm at the very minimum

- I'm quite happy with my 88mm Havocs

- Lots of folks use boards around 80mm, especially for longer tours

And it depends because of how the person skis.

Narrower is fine for "classic" ski touring, shorter radius, slower turns.

Fatter, stiffer and longer works for faster, larger radius turns in variable conditions.

For you checkout something ~100mm at the waist and maybe 170cm-180cm long? Or fuckit - pickup some K2 shukshans when they appear on Steepandcheap.com today

Your question is hard to answer. What are you looking to do? Are you lift or touring? What do you consider “decent conditions”? I suggest you go to a ski shop and demo some skis and decide what works for you. It is much better than taking suggestions from people who have no idea what type/style skier you are. Don’t forget about boots. They are can be more of a factor in performance than the skis.

BTW I use skis from 76 to 102 underfoot depending on the conditions. Just one ski can’t do it all, but if I were to just have one, it would be around 88.

80-88 is plenty, don't believe the hype. Ilookeddown has some good advice, don't forget about the boots. Try some skis out if you can, but there are plenty of excellent skis out there. Good time of year to score some good deals. I like K2, Black Diamond and Atomic for backcountry skis, can't really go wrong with these manufacturers.

Thanks all for your replies. Sounds like buying/renting something in the range of 88-93 is about as good as it will get for an all mountain. I should have been clearer that I'm only interested in backcountry - with an emphasis on turns over touring. In any event the 74mm that I currently have and am looking to replace is probably too narrow.

ilooked - I appearicate your concern, but as much as I'm aware you are random strangers on the net, you are also less likley to have a finacial interest in what I buy/rent, I'll listen to all of the random strangers, sales persons and reviews that I can, give each the weight I feel appropriate. Tough to test skis in the area as I live 12 hours away. As for boots I have boots already.

Thanks again all

Sounds like you are on the right track. If you already have a ski that is 74 underfoot I would definitely look for one in the 88-95 range. Lou Dawson has some real good reviews on skis on his web site wildsnow. I think a ski in that range would really complement your current ski which falls more into the ski mountaineering catagory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you ski, you need to check out these boards. 4-frnt VCT. I have never skied anything like them. 129-104-121 in the 175 length. I am 5'11" 165, and they never fail to amaze me. Powder, Corn, Crud, Groomers, Hard-Pack, riding the lift or in the BC, they blow me away. If you can find some demos, try them, if you cant, buy some. You will not be disapointed. I have dynafits on mine and always feel like the lucky dog with the optimal set-up. Happy freshies in April