Yak Check

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever 5.10 there is, is short and not hard. There is lots more runout 5.8/5.9 on so-so rock that requires more extended attention. I wouldn't call it excellent. Good, moderate climbing, adequate pro.

In spring when the descent is still snowchoked there may be some complications in getting off - maybe a rap, maybe step-cutting.

I`d say the grades are the same as Squamish. Most of the climbing is well protected but I found the last pitch in Yak Crack before you start to go into Reality Check (the pitch before the one through the arching overlap) was pretty run-out. It was scary mostly because the rock turns into kitty litter and you're freaked your holds are going to come off on you.

Edited by tlinn

was on Nak yesterday (Yaks east neighbor) digging snow profiles... the HS (height of settled snow) was in the 3ish meter range some places deeper than 4 meters. 2.5 meters at the highway WX station. lotsa snow to go yet.. good for skiing.. bunk for climbing.

Chris Link.

I didn't find the kitty litter pitch too bad. Short crux and off-vertical slope, the run-out didn't bother me. The upper slabby pitches got my attention more (the 10a ones). Even then, Squamish 5.10a for sure.

Just do it; its good times.

I agree that early season the crux may be the descent if you chose the walk-off. Pay attention to the snow conditions and come prepared (i.e. consider axe, sturdy boots and maybe even crampons). Only you can judge your skill on moderately steep, possibly icey slope. Then again, it might be easy plunge-stepping if the snow is right.

Edited by bstach