Drying out wet clothes overnight in a down bag?

jared_j

When I learned how to snow camp last year, it was strongly encouraged to me that I use a synthetic sleeping bag as a conservative choice in the event that (a) the bag gets wet or (b) I need to dry out wet stuff inside of it overnight (e.g. boot liners, wet socks, sweaty shirts, etc).

I'm considering a down bag for one or two-night climbing trips (for lightness, compressibility), and have no experience attempting to dry out damp clothes in one. Does this work without compromising the loft of a down bag? Think drying out socks and baselayers here, not getting in with a sopping wet shell.

I've searched around, and haven't found much info speaking to this particular aspect of the down vs. synthetic debate. I'd like to hear peoples' personal experience with trying to do this. It is only one small part of the decision between bags, but the other facts worth consideration have been fleshed out in other sources I've read.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't dry out clothes in a sleeping bag; if they're getting that wet you aren't layering properly.

Usually I strip off the outer shell (Goretex, softshell, etc.) and sleep on that, put on a belay jacket (that I don't wear in the bag) and fart around melting snow cooking etc. with the base layer I was wearing all day on in order to dry that out a bit, THEN I change into a dry base layer and go to bed.

It's really not that important to completely dry your daytime layers as you're probably going to soak them with sweat the next day anyway. I've found it's better to under-dress a little as long as you keep moving all day and keep the belay jacket handy for prolonged stops.

Down is so much warmer than syn, especially if you learn how to travel in winter.

Just keep in mind that how you go about doing things you might not worry about the other three seasons is very important. In other words behavior is the key.

Drying is something you do during any sunshine you get while in camp, especially important for the sleeping bag, just be sure whatever you dry is tied to something solid. On shorter trips don't even worry about drying. Just be sure to bring extra socks.

Edited by Coldfinger

I have literally spent months snow camping under a tarp on extended trips up to three weeks long and dried wet socks in a down sleeping bag hundreds of times. It works just fine, but don't do if you are in a small or poorly ventilated tent, if you are using a bivvy bag, or if you have some kind of breathable waterproof shell on your sleeping bag.

You don't dry out clothes in a sleeping bag; if they're getting that wet you aren't layering properly.

We are discussing the Cascades. It can be raining or just below freezing quite often in winter. ergo:

Down is so much warmer than syn, especially if you learn how to travel in winter.

doesn't matter that much.

For one or two night trips drying things out isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks for the responses. Again, I'm just thinking damp socks and slightly damp baselayers. My intuition was that it'd be all good as long as there was some vigilance about not letting things get too damp in the first place (which I already do), and the fact that socks are small enough that this is reasonable (ass Mattp's experience suggests).

The luxury of a dry change of clothes! Wow...never had that. Down will work just fine for getting in with a damp base layer, damp socks. To really dry things out, put a Nalgene bottle full of boiling water into a sock and bring that in with you. You can then dry out an extra pair of socks too.