What are some good alpine ice routes?

rockermike

I've done N. Face Hood, Liberty Ridge, N. Ridge of Stuart in Winter - all decades ago. But I've been in California for too long what with the all the dry granite and sunny skies. I'm jonesing for some Pac NorthWest alpine ice. Any recommendation? I've heard Price Glacier on Shuksan is good. Any others that stand out?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

North Ridge Stuart. Around 1980. low snow year. soloed just after bad breakup; ha.

didn't do direct start nor headwall finish but spicy enough as it was, including one long sliding fall toward the precipice. Most of the rock climbing up to the rappel notch was covered in reasonably deep snow and no big deal - except for the gully finish just after rappel which was 1" verglass over rock. scared the shit out of me. descended - whats it called? snow something gully - on south side and post holed all the way around back to my camp on north side which required one night out in open air bivy. One of the best outing of my life in retrospect.

Edited by rockermike

to me "alpine ice" means hours or days of work and a summit. ha

I think a lot of people define/consider alpine ice as glacial ice... ice that was formed from compression underneath the weight of a glacier @ some point.

Sounds like you are just looking to swing the tools enroute to a summit (yes?)... if so the pac NW is loaded with them.

Lots of good ones have been listed so far... the amount/quantity of ice on those listed vary greatly (some of them have been skied :laf: ) so looking @ a guidebooks would be wise... I'd recommend picking up Selected 1 and 2 or WA Ice or West Coast Ice and see what captures your attention.

Some of my favorites or ones I want to do bad:

- CA ice (Montana) In right now! Go climb it! Lot of other climbs in this canyon also. CLASSIC route

- Sphinx (Montana) early ice season climb

- Nisqually Ice Fall (Rainier)

- Rolf and Pete's route on Whitehorse

- NW and NE face on Stuart