Careno crag access

lancegranite

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a sign in bro's compound that says climbers may enter at their own risk. Heard some rumor that the forest service won't let him build a house on the property, and he has to allow access to climbers. We skirted around his garage on the east end of the property last week with no problems.

Last year we talked to him on our way to Poison Ivy crack. We were worried because we were directly on his property when he saw us. We asked him if it was okay to use the trail to get to the crags and he responded (in a friendly way), "I don't know how you will get to your climbs if you don't use the trail." He seemed pretty easy-going about it and didn't have a problem with it.

This was last year pre-structures...but our understanding was "go ahead and use the trail." I believe there is a phone number on the sign too.

Here's the thread from last year.

I wish the owner hadn't regraded the property so much... seriously. I think he changed the elevation an entire contour line on the 7.5minute quad in some places...sheeesh.

I am still somewhat bitter about the bouldering access in the area.

However, not as bitter at the company (with forest circus guidence) that bulldozed the landing pad (now parking lot) on the backside of Barney's Rubble. I still kick myself for not taking pictures of the once infamous cave rock boulder. I am sure it will clean up nicely again one day but for sure it will never be the same after the slashpile that was smashed and then subsequently torched, exploded the giant flakes/holds into oblivion. Such a sad sad day it was when I saw the travesty.

Department of Agriculture my ass

Access to certain crags via private roadside areas in the icicle never entirely seems to be jeopardy as long as we all:

1) smile

2) be pleasant in asking permission if one sees a suspected landowner

3) never "chill out" on the property's structures/land (ie decks, lawn, etc)

4) keep low impact mentality

6) pack out your trash

6) say THANK YOU and keep smiling...

7) most important: don't park in the driveway of the property.