GIS Analyst opening in ROK

Ricardo_Montalban

I thought I'd post this here in attempt to get a climbing minded individual to work with...

plusses:

-friendly and open work environment

-excellent experience with #1 GIS program in DOD

-base pay + ~21k COLA all tax free

-climbing gym on base, bouldering gym downtown, and outdoor wall downtown

-Korea is riddled with sport climbing opportunities; 2 of the best within 1.5 hours drive (trad opp's are 3-6 hours away in northern part of country)

-trans/moving costs covered

send resume/serious inquiries to "richard.momsen at kunsan dot af dot mil".

note: you can apply using the link below but it will be quicker to email me.

note2: there is skiing nearby, but it is all fenced in and machine made...don't bother bringing gear...although Japan is a short flight away.

****official announcement****

Organization: L-3 Communications

Title: GIS Analyst 2 - Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea

Application Deadline:

Posted:

Position Description:

L-3 Enterprise IT Solutions is seeking a GIS Analyst with at least 2 years of work experience performing geospatial database development and analysis, map production using ESRI’s ArcGIS platform to include ArcInfo, ArcSDE, and ArcIMS to support a government client in South Korea. The GeoBase Analyst is responsible for geospatial data integrity, quality assurance, metadata development, CAD and legacy data integration, spatial analysis, and developing solutions to leverage the installation's GeoBase capability. This position will join a team of GIS professionals supporting the GeoBase program at Kunsan Air Base.

Background/Experience Required:

B.S. Degree in a Scientific or Technical discipline. 2+ years of experience with GIS data development and GPS data collection experience. Solid working knowledge of ESRI’s ArcGIS client solutions (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and experience with ArcGIS server solutions (ArcSDE, ArcIMS). Knowledge of Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure & Environment (SDSFIE), FGDC metadata content and accuracy standards. Excellent attention to detail, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Strong communication (written, verbal, public speaking) skills. Ability to obtain a US DOD SECRET security clearance (US citizenship required). Experience as a substitute to the above list of skills and education will be considered.

Background Desired:

M.S. Degree in a Scientific or Technical discipline. Experience with and knowledge of advanced database concepts including Oracle database operation and administration. Programming knowledge to include ArcObjects, AXL, Python, VB, ASP, JSP, SQL, Experience with Trimble’s GeoXH, 5600, 5700, and 5800 RTK GPS solutions and Geomatics Office, Pathfinder Office, and Reference Station software. Previous Air Force or other military experience.

Kunsan is a town of over 350k people on the coast of the Yellow Sea approximately 2.5 hours south of Seoul. The city of Kunsan has several open green spaces, shopping districts, mega plexes, restaurants and other city life amenities. There are 7 national and provincial parks within a 1.5 drive for hiking, climbing, and cultural activities, and the countries 2nd largest ski resort Muju is only 2 hours away.

http://knowledgeworkers.com/careers/titan.php?apply=96937

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well...the guy we hired didn't work out. He has to leave for personal reasons so the position is open again. The announcement below is a repeat of the above with a couple minor changes. Send me an email if you're up for an adventure...

plusses:

-friendly and open work environment

-excellent experience with #1 GIS program in DOD

-base pay + ~17k COLA all tax free

-climbing gym on base, bouldering gym downtown, and outdoor wall downtown

-Korea is riddled with sport climbing opportunities; 2 of the best within 1.5 hours drive (trad opp's are 3-6 hours away in northern part of country)

-trans/moving costs covered

send resume/serious inquiries to "richard.momsen at kunsan dot af dot mil".

note: there is skiing nearby, but it is all fenced in and machine made...don't bother bringing gear...although Japan is a short flight away.

****official announcement****

Organization: L-3 Communications

Title: GIS Analyst 2 - Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea

Application Deadline:

Posted:

Position Description:

L-3 Enterprise IT Solutions is seeking a GIS Analyst with at least 2 years of work experience performing geospatial database development and analysis, map production using ESRI’s ArcGIS platform to include ArcInfo, ArcSDE, and ArcIMS to support a government client in South Korea. The GeoBase Analyst is responsible for geospatial data integrity, quality assurance, metadata development, CAD and legacy data integration, spatial analysis, and developing solutions to leverage the installation's GeoBase capability. This position will join a team of GIS professionals supporting the GeoBase program at Kunsan Air Base.

Background/Experience Required:

B.S. Degree in a Scientific or Technical discipline. 2+ years of experience with GIS data development and GPS data collection experience. Solid working knowledge of ESRI’s ArcGIS client solutions (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and experience with ArcGIS server solutions (ArcSDE, ArcIMS). Knowledge of Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure & Environment (SDSFIE), FGDC metadata content and accuracy standards. Excellent attention to detail, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Strong communication (written, verbal, public speaking) skills. Ability to obtain a US DOD SECRET security clearance (US citizenship required). Experience as a substitute to the above list of skills and education will be considered.

Background Desired:

M.S. Degree in a Scientific or Technical discipline. Experience with and knowledge of advanced database concepts including Oracle database operation and administration. Programming knowledge to include ArcObjects, AXL, Python, VB, ASP, JSP, SQL, Experience with Trimble’s GeoXH, 5600, 5700, and 5800 RTK GPS solutions and Geomatics Office, Pathfinder Office, and Reference Station software. Previous Air Force or other military experience.

Kunsan is a town of over 350k people on the coast of the Yellow Sea approximately 2.5 hours south of Seoul. The city of Kunsan has several open green spaces, shopping districts, mega plexes, restaurants and other city life amenities. There are 7 national and provincial parks within a 1.5 drive for hiking, climbing, and cultural activities, and the countries 2nd largest ski resort Muju is only 2 hours away.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but 2 friends just got back from teaching english for a year in Korea in Seoul, and absolutely hated it. (didnt like the culture at all) They said the country was nice but if the position is in a big city, avoid it like the plague!

My experience is from 20 years ago but for what it is worth:

I really liked the people, though didn't really enjoy being with 10 million others in Seoul. Not great in the winter with the coal smog and more congested than when I was there.

Culture there has changed a bit since I was there but women are expected to tow their sociatal obligations. A rich hertiage and some incredible areas to travel to.

I taught invitially for the gov't, prior to the Olympics, then taught at Seoul City University and Inchon University. There is some incredible ice climbing in the winter and wonderful rock climbing. It is humid in July - August and butt cold often in the winter (hence the ice climbing). It wasn't all rosey and just like any big city/foreign country comes with social weirdness and some interesting situations.

111, thank you for your enlightening commentary. we'd all live better lives if you would provide more of your insightful 2nd hand advice.

* seoul is not korea! anyone who spends time in seoul and claims to experience another culture is fooling themselves. i like going to seoul for two reasons only (food and microbrew) and i'm sick of it by the end of the weekend, so i can understand how your friends didn't enjoy their time.

* there are over a million english teachers in korea so there is bound to be a share of disgruntled foreigners

* my post had nothing to do with living in a big city much less teaching english

* life experience (no matter where you are) is what you make of it.

* the land of morning calm is (i think) more accurately described as the land of contradictions. since confucianism is deeply embedded into this culture, you really have to know the situation and not the person to get an idea of how people will behave. there are times i'm at my wits end and i want to give someone a good shaking, but way more often i'll be overwhelmed by their generosity. once while bailing on a climbing trip i walked a 1/2 mile in the rain and came across a group of elders under a canopy. i approached them to call a taxi for me, but instead they fired up the grill, cooked up a meal, and kept my cup full of soju for 2 hours. some of the nicest people i've ever met, even if we could only communicate through charades. anyway, you are far more likely to experience this kind of sincerity out in the countryside.

toko, you'd be amazed at how much has changed in the last 20 years! seoul is still congested and polluted (and currently full of exciting riots!!). the infrastructure has really improved so you can get anywhere in the country in a few hours. yeah, the humidity is starting to get bad and soon the rains will come...i'm just holding out for the fall.

oh yeah...position is filled

Rico,

Awesome to know your enjoying your time there. I have so many stories of the generosity of folks but there were one or two unpleasant encounters as well. Just like living in any coutry - good and bad.

Teaching at two universities from early '86-'88 I had my share of tear gas and riots.

Great climbing!