Fav Guitar solos

cheamclimber

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think of Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think of his tone. The secret to good tone on the electric guitar: thick strings and strong fingers.

Well... Howard Dumble amplifiers help, too...

my recollections of him were his picking... frenetic, fast, up and down the strings.

think i'll pop in one of his CD's right now.

Here's SRV's stage rig from '84:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/308/

It's his fault Tube Screamers are so damn expensive. You can build one for about $60 :rolleyes:

Who has your favourite lead/distortion tone? Favourite stompbox or dirty amp?

I'm currently running a modified Rat into a Bassman modded Traynor and I've built a couple of others (Distotion+, Big Muff). A Tube Screamer is in the works. I'm thinking about modding my amp into a Bassman clean channel and JCM800 dirty if I find the time. I've got the parts.

I'm currently running a modified Rat into a Bassman modded Traynor and I've built a couple of others (Distotion+, Big Muff). A Tube Screamer is in the works. I'm thinking about modding my amp into a Bassman clean channel and JCM800 dirty if I find the time. I've got the parts.

WTF did he just say? :crazy:

Here's SRV's stage rig from '84:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/308/

It's his fault Tube Screamers are so damn expensive. You can build one for about $60 :rolleyes:

Who has your favourite lead/distortion tone? Favourite stompbox or dirty amp?

Favorite tone? That's tough. For straight up metal, that would be Metallica's tone. For something lighter, something straightforward like AC/DC (Back in Black) or ZZTop (Eliminator). If I want something a little more "refined" (with chorus) I'd go with a Rush sound (Moving Pictures) or Van Hagar (5150). For a clean tone, I prefer some compression and chorus effects.

I don't fiddle with amps/effects etc. Just have a Crate half rack with celestion speakers and an effects rack (Roland). The latter gives me some of the tones I like, but sucks at higher volume.

I play a Silvertone with broken pickguard and a cheese grater pickup through a 1980 50-watt Peavey Classic purchased with a student loan. Seen here at a gig on the Ross Lake Guard Station float:

456117513_d3b30d54b7.jpg

Righteous, D00d!!!1 :raised_clenched_fist: