Climbing Mentor

Joe Ranger

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's hard to get a dedicted mentor here or anywhere, but by frequently proposing ideas and looking for partners for single event trips in the partners forum you can build up a bunch of folks over time who have a wide range of skills, and thus end up both learning and teachign a lot

Just kidding Joe. Wait till you see what happens to innocent females who post here for the first time.

Step 1. Move out of Tacoma. All the best climbing is above Peirce county lie.

Step 2. Advertise free beer.

Step 4. Offer to carry rope and rack.

As a relative newb to climbing, here's my two cents, which is what worked for me:

1) To make sure you're not doing the wrong things, spend a little money for some private instruction at one of the gyms and on an instructional book or two ("Rock Climbing - Mastering Basic Skills" by Lubben, found at REI, is the climbing text book I started off on). I would suggest the private insruction be focused on basic sport climbing / TR type stuff - rigging anchors, proper clipping, etc. This will set you up just fine for Exit 38 / 32 sport climbing. Tell the instructors what you're looking for goal wise. I found the folks at Stone Gardens most helpful when I ponied up for a couple of hours one on one to teach me what I needed to then be able to reasonably safely move out to easy Exit 32/38 stuff to build experience.

2) Just post for a partner in the partners forum. Be honest on your abilities. There's a good chance you'll find folks to climb with who will teach you stuff - it's worked for me. Some one is always looking for a climbing partner.

3) Respond to postings of folks looking for climbing partners. Again, be honest on your abilities.

Although often derided here on CC, you could also try the Mounties - take one of their classes.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe...I posted in the General Discussion and somewhere else on the forum today the message below...sounds like a solution to your question, and I'm sort of in the same boat. The course is only $250 (C$) for two full days...pretty cheap for professional instruction:

I'm looking for one or two people who might be interested in taking a 2-day "learn to trad lead" course with Squamish Rock Guides next weekend, April 12/13, in Squamish, BC.

I really want to take the course, however, SRG requires a minimum of 3 people to run it (max. of 4 people). Presently, there is only one person --me-- but there might be one more, my gym climbing partner.

Full info/details on the course are here: http://www.squamishrockguides.com/trad2.htm

Don't delay...learn to trad lead now so that you can get a jump on the summer! (Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with SRG...I just want to take the course, so am looking for others who also might want to also so that the course will be run. If interested, you should register ASAP so that SRG can line up a guide/instructors ASAP for next weekend...)

Cheers,

Jud

judson.berry@sauder.ubc.ca or 604-783-7483 in case anyone has any questions for me...but I'm just an interested climber who wants to learn trad.