Expedition duffel feedback

Kraken

I'm looking for an expedition duffel bag; one that I can haul up Denali and also use for storing the sharps when traveling.

The two options i'm considering are the Patagucci Stellar Black Hole Bag and the North Face Base Camp Duffel.

I would tend to lean towards the Stellar Bag as it is about two pounds lighter than the North Face, but then again, it is thinner and therefore I figure less durable over time.

Since this will be used to hold everything from fuel and food to rock and ice gear, I figure it is bound to take a fair amount of abuse. Not to mention the airlines' abuse when I fly.

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a Black Hole Bag for a climbing trip to Ecuador and Argentina a few years back. I love the bag as it is sleek, waterproof and very light and packable when not in use. In terms of durability I'd say it's OK but not stupendous. Definitely had a few holes in it by the end of a two month trip. I was careful to tape the ends of the pointy stuff but it still ended up with several holes from the abuses of airlines and mule rides. Great bag but definitely not ultra bombproof. That's the trade off for the light weight and packability.

The patagonia bag weighs about 2 pounds. And the TNF, WT, Mountain Hardwear bags all weigh more, ranging from WT at 4 pounds to almost 10 pounds for the MH or the TNF bags.

I'd rather have 8 pounds of gear, or save the $$$$ from the excess baggage costs.

whatever generic black bag i got at rei for 15 bucks 6 years ago - took it up denali and have used it just about every weekend since then and it works just fine. my smaller us army duffel bag has got about the same use and still is in fine shape. doesn't seem to be an item that requires much in the way of technical features or cost...

generics will last 1/10th the number of trips at 1/4 the price in my experience. Compared to the contents they aren't that expensive. You can get the name brand for ~$100

The shit generic bags have shit zippers (some MEC have useful locking zippers). No locks = risky, possibly expensive thrift.