[TR] Argonaut - NE Couloir 3/17/2008

tvashtarkatena

Trip: Argonaut - NE Couloir

Date: 3/17/2008

Trip Report:

Argonaut, NE Couloir March 17, 2008

The pelting woke me up again. It hadn’t stopped for several hours. By now I was looking forward to sleeping in before casually brewing up some tea and cream of wheat, packing up, and strolling back to the car.

“I slept through the alarm. It’s 5:20.” Don said. “It’s clear out.”

Damn! Back to work. Don slipped into his ancient Galibiers. The only synthetics on these medieval war horses is the duct tape holding the inner boots together.

We started up at first light. It was windy, but relatively warm. Stuart and Sherpa were keeping the clouds at bay.

The climb can be broken up into five sections: The approach slope (which is most of it), the couloir, a short mixed pitch above the top of the couloir, the upper snowfield, and the summit ridge traverse.

The approach slope went much easier in snowshoes. The couloir itself offered fine, secure step kicking, with one little bottleneck requiring a few easy ice moves. What little ice we encountered other than that; small amounts between rocks, was grape nuts. We attempted a bypass to the upper snowfield about 100 feet below the top of the NE couloir, but sugar snow over slab returned us to the couloir proper. This sugar snow/grape nuts ice combination characterized all the mixed climbing on the route.

Don spotted a descent route which wound up going easily: after a single rope rap down a shitty gully (and climbing back up shitty gully to get my forgotten ax) to Colchuk’s large south slope, traverse the Argonaut – Colchuck ridge for a short ways to a snow capped ridge heading north. Traverse and descend that ridge for a 100 feet or so before dropping off it’s west side and back to the base of the NE couloir.

All day we enjoyed being in the eye of the storm; plenty of wind, surrounded by clouds, but blue bird skies above. No precipitation fell during our visit, although there was quite a bit of wind deposition going on.

Thanks to Jiri, Kevin, Dave, Keith, and Eric, all of whom we saw in our way in, for beta on the conditions.

2343663051_76331f77fd.jpg

“These snowshoes suck”. Don ascending to the base of the couloir

2344496036_a1130b45e5.jpg

Sunrise on Sherpa

2344526068_1b20f178f5.jpg

Argonaut

2344494828_59de55b5a6.jpg

Don in the couloir: asleep or frozen solid?

2344494966_5c090b9c92.jpg

Don topping out on the mixed section

2344495880_285ffbc5fa.jpg

The author ascending the upper snowfield

2343663201_b68784dc8b.jpg

Don reaching the summit ridge. Colchuk in the background

2343663881_120dddb4c2.jpg

The author demonstrating his signature Enumclaw technique on the summit ridge traverse

2343664371_3a863fae1b.jpg

The author negotiating the final Obama Step to the summit block

2344495094_c3f97244d9.jpg

Don: tanned, rested, and ready for anything on the summit

2344495514_9ea07c6e23.jpg

Architecturally, you can’t beat Argonaut’s summit

2343663317_7b3b0fdd65.jpg

Don descending

2343694479_5f27dd1882.jpg

Sherpa

Gear Notes:

We broke out the rope for 2 single rope raps; one down the mixed pitch below the upper snowfield, and one to get down to Colchuck's southern slope.

Somebody might take a pencil up for the summit register. The lone pen is either frozen or kaput.

Approach Notes:

We skied the road, stashed them, then switched to snowshoes, which were most helpful after the Colchuk/Mountaineer's Creek trail junction.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool report! Tvash, I noticed your lugging the BD Speed pack... I use one also and I was wondering if you crammed all your stuff in that for an overnighter, or was that your "summit pack"?

When we ran into them on the trail on our way out, Tvash was using his BD and had "a few things" outside. Don had a huge pig on his back and was probably carrying most of Tvash's stuff.

Cool report! Tvash, I noticed your lugging the BD Speed pack... I use one also and I was wondering if you crammed all your stuff in that for an overnighter, or was that your "summit pack"?

The Speed carried my overnight gear comfortably. I had to drape the rope under the pack lid, and strap my helmet, foam pad, and crampons to the outside on the way up, so I didn't pass the 'Eurokewl' test, but those fuckers never carry overnight gear anyway.

Don and I split group gear pretty equally, so scientists are still trying to determine what filled his gargantuan pack. Saddam's fallen statue? A live goat? 2000 feet of bail runners? He did have an Alaskan style down parka the size of a small cumulus cloud, but other than that he didn't seem to have any noticeably bulky items at camp. The lowest moment of the trip for me was when he asked me to help him get his pack just before skiing down the road. I swear to God I was frightened of that thing. A vision of my broken body being dragged behind a rescue snowmobile on a back board flashed before my eyes.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The Speed carried my overnight gear comfortably. I had to drape the rope under the pack lid, and strap my helmet, foam pad, and crampons to the outside on the way up, so I didn't pass the 'Eurokewl' test, but those fuckers never carry overnight gear anyway.

Don and I split group gear pretty equally, so scientists are still trying to determine what filled his gargantuan pack. Saddam's fallen statue? A live goat? 2000 feet of bail runners? He did have an Alaskan style down parka the size of a small cumulus cloud, but other than that he didn't seem to have any noticeably bulky items at camp. The lowest moment of the trip for me was when he asked me to help him get his pack just before skiing down the road. I swear to God I was frightened of that thing. A vision of my broken body being dragged behind a rescue snowmobile on a back board flashed before my eyes.

I thought it looked like he had a bbq on top.

Spot the couloir on the hike in. It's obvious.

Climb the couloir to it's end.

Hang a right up a pitch of 4th class mixed stuff. You'll see rap slings at the top from below.

Traverse up and as far right (west) as you can go on the upper snowfield until you reach the summit ridge.

Traverse west on the summit ridge until you're on top.

Parties this time of year who don't want to take the 5.6 rock pitch mentioned in the sverdinka TR to attain the upper snowfield (the steep slabs are covered with sugar snow, most of which has been kicked off by our failed attempt) can ascend the NE Couloir to the very end and take a much easier 4th class pitch to the upper snowfield.

Edited by tvashtarkatena