Evolution vs. Goulottes

jport

What are the main differences between Grivel's Evolution and Goulottes picks?

Which would you recommend for moderate Pacific Northwest ice? I will not be mixed climbing with these tools... unless it gets spicy on an alpine route!

Any recommendations/advice/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the goulottes are thicker in several facets. they are definately more durable but shatter the ice more. if you were doing something where breaking a pick is bad and the ice is soft (alpine like) then the goulotte is ok. I have used the goulotte on winter ice and it works ok. The evo doesn't shatter ice that bad.

Just my opinion but the evo are for winter ice climbing. Goulotte is for alpine climbing. But if you only wanted one pick, the evo is the one. (which you probably already have)

Hard to forget the video of Steve House on gear used on Nanga Parbat - Using entirely different tools. A lot can be done without the "ideal", so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it happens that you need new picks then I would go for consistency, but otherwise I would just switch hands once in a while so you get used to swinging both. Just my opinion, good luck! :tup:

What Matt said. Many hard WI5 and WI6 and lots of difficult mixed were climbed with a traditional curved tool in one hand and a reverse curved tool in the other. Picks no where near the same for placement or displacement. We use to think (and I still do) that there can be some advantage to that.