Bellingham Locals

thestidham

I've been going to school at Western up in Bellingham the past three months and it's been tough trying to stay in shape for climbing. I'm gonna get one day up at 32 and four days at leavenworth this next week for spring break but I'm looking for people to get out with when this next quarter starts in a couple weeks. I'm down for pretty much anywhere: index, leavenworth, gold bar, squamish. it has to be on weekends since I'm i school but I'm pretty sure I don't have class on fridays spring quarter so we could head out early fridays. hit me up.

sean

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I'm going to be home in puyallup fife area so 32 is the closet while I'm home. plus I'm psyched to get a day or two up there during break cause I have a project I'm hoping to do. What's up at Erie and how far is it from Bham? I'm down to check it out when I get back from spring break. gonna be in leavenworth for a few days! Blake, where do you usually climb? I'm serious about getting out a bunch this next quarter so lets make it happen.

Thats north of Squamish, right? There should be plenty for you to do around there. Erie is about 45 minutes away from you

(outside of Anacortes) and is hated on by many people but is really pretty good for western washington. It is mostly sport routes and gets less rain than most places around. Plan on being lost the first few times you go there. There is also some fun bouldering in Larabee State Park, which is about 15 minutes away from you. There are also some sport routes on Mount Baker Highway near the town of Glacer (one hour away). There is a guidebook called Bellingham Rock or something that would be a good place to start.

yeah I've been to Larabee and sehnome arboretum, but as cool of a town as bellingham is the climbing sucks. I mean squamish is sick and there's index and leavenworth down the way but I'm without a car until next school year so my options are limited. next year though I plan to make a minivan my home so I will definitely be truckin' up to squamish when the weather abides.

Rad, actually those are the only gross pics i have. :)

Yeah, Cheakamus is about 15-20 miles north of Squamish.

I agree with Dan, if you go to Erie, try to go with someone who has been there before, otherwise you'll find yourself lost on many different little "trails"...

Equinox crag is the best thing anywhere near bellingham but it takes about as long to get there as is does Index. So maybe Index is the best thing close to bellingham. Also Rosario is a good workout, it's like the pumphouse at Baker but the rock is like 2% better and the average grade is 5.12.

• 2 months later...

From Anacortes

Head south on WA-20 toward S Fidalgo Bay Rd. Go 5.1 Mi.

Turn right at Rosario Rd. Go 259ft.

Turn left at Bowman Bay Rd. Go .4 Mi.

The climbing is at the Refrigerator wall (aptly named, bring your coat even in the summer!) on the left immediately before the gated state-park parking lot. .11's on the far right. .13 in the middle and .12's on either side. It's so close to parking you could "almost" belay from your tailgate. The place is rad, have fun!

• 4 years later...
checked out Rosario earlier this year and the tops of the routes need some scrubbing. Bolts are getting a little rusty but Im betting that they're fine.

Went to Erie and Rosario for the first time today. Had an excellent time. Yes, the last few feet of the Refrigerator wall is covered in a 1/2 of robust moss. I definitely had to unearth some footholds on the finishing sequence of 'total eclipse'. The wall is short but packs a punch; and combined with the amazing scenery and beach side vistas, I'll definitely be back. Neck time however, I'll definitely bring the wire brush. My nylon brushes were completely useless, almost.

as for the bolts, yes, perhaps the bolts are rusty. the washers are definitely rusty. I took a nice whip, and didn't crater, so at least one is good!

Does anyone know if the 13b on the "headwall" at Snag Butress has been completed? who bolted it? just wondering.. Smoot books says something about it probably being completed by now.

Edited by bigwallben