Gas prices

kevbone

they actually could afford to,

geuss you may have to tone it down some or move to another city that you can afford

what will you do just get poor and die?

yeah, and there will be exactly the right number of jobs in that "other" city. always. and the costs of everyone moving around, well, that will be so "efficient"

you guys with your simplistic worldview are a bunch of assclowns.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certainly not advocating for "everyone" to live close to their jobs. I am saying that if you don't like the cost of gas, maybe moving closer to your job is away of lessening that tension.

Certain social engineers *are* mandating just that. It is not possible for everyone to move close to their jobs, and those who can afford it the least will be fucked over by the higher gas prices and their commute. Moreover, higher gas prices means higher food costs and costs all around (e.g. clothes, cost to drive kids to soccer practice), which hit lower income folks harder. Take mass transit? Those costs are rising too.

Certain social engineers *are* mandating just that. It is not possible for everyone to move close to their jobs, and those who can afford it the least will be fucked over by the higher gas prices and their commute. Moreover, higher gas prices means higher food costs and costs all around (e.g. clothes, cost to drive kids to soccer practice), which hit lower income folks harder. Take mass transit? Those costs are rising too.

So subsidies are the solution? :grlaf:

Also keep in mind that it takes 25% more crude oil to refine a gallon of diesel than gas, so, if one is concerned about oil depletion/consumption, gas mileage for diesel vehicles should be downgraded by 20% to compare with gas vehicles.

But biodiesel is only partially diesel - the rest is veggie oil (or micro-algae, or what have you)...so factor that back in!

clip_image002.jpg

:lmao:

This is such a peeve of mine. Most of the people who buy organics don't have a clue that there are toxic chemicals that can legally be used on their food and still have it labeled organic. Until they go and look at the practices of organic vs. non-organic firsthand, most people will have no idea what they are talking about...and it cracks me up to watch them pay the high prices for anything with a smidgen of something organic in the ingredient list...dang city people! But this is a topic for another thread...

wow, what a discussion. Pretty funny.

Biodiesel is certainly not a solution for the problem. It is fair enough for some people to use but would not come close to saturate demand.

The problem that needs to be addressed is high energy demand. We are unsustainable because we use large amounts of energy. Switching to another fuel source (whatever that would be) does not solve the problem.

Cheers, Jan

Right now you have to search hard to find diesel of any variety less than $4/gal.

Well you still get better gas mileage with most diesels.

And although this isn't a practical solution for the average person, you can convert a diesel to take waste oil (think McDonald's grease) that you can get for free. Costs around $1000 to convert, then you just have to go get yer grease... Or you can buy fresh veggie oil for $2/gallon at Costco. Ever hear of the "Veggie Van" guy...he drove around the country in his vehicle fueled solely on post-consumer oil (used fast-food grease). Yes, another mention...he's the guy who made the documentary Fields of Fuel that's coming out soon.

wow, what a discussion. Pretty funny.

Biodiesel is certainly not a solution for the problem. It is fair enough for some people to use but would not come close to saturate demand.

The problem that needs to be addressed is high energy demand. We are unsustainable because we use large amounts of energy. Switching to another fuel source (whatever that would be) does not solve the problem.

Cheers, Jan

Going to the very root of it - yes, I would agree with you. But we still have to have SOME source of fuel...yeah?

This is such a peeve of mine. Most of the people who buy organics don't have a clue that there are toxic chemicals that can legally be used on their food and still have it labeled organic. Until they go and look at the practices of organic vs. non-organic firsthand, most people will have no idea what they are talking about...and it cracks me up to watch them pay the high prices for anything with a smidgen of something organic in the ingredient list...dang city people! But this is a topic for another thread...

True dat! It's over here! :)

I am certainly not advocating for "everyone" to live close to their jobs. I am saying that if you don't like the cost of gas, maybe moving closer to your job is away of lessening that tension.

The problem that needs to be addressed is high energy demand. We are unsustainable because we use large amounts of energy.

Um, yeah. And if we cut back as much as possible that would be what? 10%? 20% 30%? The population is still going up, and underdeveloped nations are using more energy than ever before.

BTW, as a concerned person, I'm sure you're willing to eliminate all climbing trips and vacations, use no more gasoline-powered vehicles (bike or walk only), go to bed at sunset and rise with the sun, and have your electricity and gas at your home turned completely off, forever, right?

Social engineers? Who are these secret people? Shall we add paranoid to your new entitlement whiner monicker?

America is fatter than a chuffy hog, so I hardly think higher food costs is going to do anything but improve that health crisis. Unprocessed foods are cheaper and healthier anyway.

And speaking of fat, get those fat assed kids to ride their bikes to soccer practice. I did when I was a kid. I didn't have this new generation of harried, worried, bizzy bizzy bizzy soccer Moms to spoon feed me. My mom simply said "You wanna play soccer? Great. Take yourself to practice."

True dat! It's over here! :)

:lmao:

Jesus Christ you guys are making huge blanket statements left and right. Its not as easy as one, two, three to just pick up and move or better yet to just “find a new job”! I don’t exactly have huge choice of jobs every morning and choose the middle paying job 10 miles away because I like it. Finding the same paying job next to my house is not quite that simple. And picking up and moving tomorrow is just not going to happen. No complaint from this camp. I am happy with what I have……..

Jesus Christ you guys are making huge blanket statements left and right. Its not as easy as one, two, three to just pick up and move or better yet to just “find a new job”! I don’t exactly have huge choice of jobs every morning and choose the middle paying job 10 miles away because I like it. Finding the same paying job next to my house is not quite that simple. And picking up and moving tomorrow is just not going to happen. No complaint from this camp. I am happy with what I have……..

for once i agree w/kevbone

Two bucks will buy you 200 calories in the produce section--and 1200 calories in the junk food aisle. I heard it on NPR, so it must be true.

more if you are shopping on sale - Maruchan ramen are 4000 calories / dollar @ 10 blocks for $1

Mmmm. One time I got one with an extra spice packet inside.

the social engineers are all ready to fuck you over, Kevbone. You may think they're on your side, but they'll stab you in the back.

"social engineering" here is a information security term that someone has pre-emptively repurposed. the term "social engineer" is normally applied to some trying to trick someone else into doing something they should not (such as resetting a password on a system and giving it to the caller).

applied to politics...well.... applied to politics it has no meaning.