traverse lizzie to lytton

JanD

Hey,

has anyone done a traverse from Lizzie Lake up towards the Stein, then by Rutledge to Kwoiek and down towrads the Frazer by Lytton? It is kind of the alpine on the south side of Stein River.

Any info would be awesome. I have never been to Lizzie Lake or Kwoiek Glacier before.

Cheers, Jan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordop and I talked about doing something like that back a few years ago. Start at Lizzie Lake then ski and come out around Pyramid Mountain and Kwoiek Creek.

I don't know what vehicle parking is like, but it looks like a fun trip.

Sorry we didn't do it, but you should go for it. :tup:

Summer or winter?

Have thought about a spring trip many times but the logisitics are brutal with preplacing cars and a heli drop off is looking attractive now that the Lizzie FSR is fawked. Also, since a lot of the trip is above 7500' on glaciers you need a week of good weather, something that has never meshed with my available time.

Couple summer TRs in the BC Mountaineer circa 2000 or 2002(?)

I meant winter/spring. Within the next month or so. I see, the access to Lizzie is shit. So how much longer is the access without the road? Are we talking 10s of km?

A friend flew over it in a small plane and said it looks awesome and showed me some pics of the icefields. Looked really cool.

I guess I will look at maps and the book some more.

Cheers, Jan

Thanks for the info guys. I looked at Baldwins book and it is in there. He describes Log Creek as well. That does look a lot better. I also got the maps and it looks like a great route.

Jordop, do you have any more info on the Lizzie logging road? Is it washed out or what? Do you think we'll have to hike/ski up it?

Will report back if we end up getting out there.

Cheers, Jan

Jordop, do you have any more info on the Lizzie logging road? Is it washed out or what? Do you think we'll have to hike/ski up it?

Massive washout 800m from start. There are some details on bivouac.com as to how to bypass the slide, but it sounds look a good deal of screwing around, esp. with skis on the pack.

• 1 month later...

thanks again for all the info. We attempted the traverse (Apr 5th to 12th... knowing that the forecast was not all that great) and got a classic spanking. Second day we skied up to Cherry Pip Pass and a slide came of close to where we had to go up. We turned around, attempted to get up by the Lizzie Cabin but weather was just not good. Crappy vis for most of it, quite a bit of snow.

But we had a great week at Lizzie and skied the area. Arrowhead, Famine Ridge, toured around Moraine Pass. Lots of pillow fun close to the cabin. It's hard to find north facing stuff there. We skied some fun north facing stuff down to Lizzie Lake a couple times which was great.

Last day we tried Cloudraker but again no vis at all.

What an awesome area though.

I got some pics here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33622&l=70072&id=556096985

Cheers, Jan

Edited by JanD

Very cool - too bad it didn't turn out but at least you spent some good time in a cool area.

and a slide came of close to where we had to go up.

. . . Yeah, they'll do that . . . (Homer to Milhouse after Milhouse complains about the tar fumes while tarring the Simpsons' roof :nurd:)

Cabin looks to be in good shape?

Yeah, no complains for sure, the area is so cool.

Cabin is in good shape. But it's really cold. I think it could really use a couple cans of expandable construction foam to fill the holes in the walls. I think in a day of work one could turn it into a decent winter cabin. Right now, I would not want to be there in -20... a tent would be warmer.

Cheers, Jan